Tessa Scott

by Katelyn Whaley from Pickerington

Cover of Before I Die (Google Images)
Cover of Before I Die (Google Images)

Define a hero in your own words: My definition of a hero is a person that shows heroic characteristics and is perceived as a hero to others.

Is it important to have a hero? I believe it is important to have a hero. This is a person you can look up to and try to be like. This gives you something to strive for in your life and could make you a better person.

Which character in your novel portrays characteristics of a hero? Tessa shows heroic qualities in the novel. She is brave for her family and friend and helps them with being able to say goodbye to her and preparing for her death. A few quotes that show she has used her bravery to prepare her family members and friend are "Visit my grave when you can, but don't kick yourself if you can't" (Downham,285). "I've come to say goodbye. I mean, I know I did already, but I thought I'd say it again" (Downham,309). " It's all right Tessa, you can go. We love you. You can go now" (Downham,323).

Hero Hall of Fame: Tessa should be considered for the Hero Hall of Fame. She is very brave considering she is facing death. Instead of trying to hang on to what is left of her life, she decides to go home and die in peace and be surrounded by her family and friends. She is brave for them and tells them to move on when she passes and not to grieve for her. She helps them prepare for her death and keeps the pain to herself to not make it harder on them. These are just a few reasons why Tessa should be put into the Hero Hall of Fame.

Who's your hero's hero? Q&A: 1. Who is your hero and why? My hero is my dad because he has been so supportive and brave through out all of my cancer treatments and has always been there for me. 2. Who do you think see's you as their hero? I think my friend Zoey see's me as her hero. I've been strong for her and my family throughout this whole mess and I was there for her when she found out the truth about her boyfriend Scott and when she went to go get an abortion but decided against it. I try to be there for her as much as I can and help her though any of her issues she may have. 3. How did you remain so brave during all of your treatments and doctor's visits? Someone had to. I had to be brave for my brother Cal and my dad. They needed me as much as I needed them. And i knew I was going to die eventually and even if I am afraid I can't let that get in the way of how I live the rest of my life. 4. Why did you decide to stop the treatments and go home? I wanted to die in my house, in my room, in my bed. I wanted to be surrounded by my family, not hospital staff and doctors. And I didn't want to die with a bunch of needles in me. I hate needles. 5. Do you see yourself as a brave or heroic person? Maybe just a little. I mean, I didn't go and save anyone or do anything really heroic like they do in the comic books. But, I am brave for my family and i think that makes me a little heroic. 6. Why did you do some of the things on your list if you knew they were dangerous? I wanted to pretend I wasn't sick. I wanted to feel like a normal teenage girl. I wanted to feel free. So maybe a few of them were a little crazy. But I had fun and it was all worth it. 7. Do you think Zoey will do well as a single mother? I think Zoey will be just fine. If she needs help she will always have my family to go to. And who knows, maybe she and her parents will settle everything and have a good relationship again. But I think she will do just fine and even surprise herself with how good of a mother she is. 8. Do you think getting involved with a guy when you're going to die soon was a good idea? Maybe, maybe not. In some ways it was a bad idea because Adam fell in love with me and then i will die very soon and he will have no one. But in some ways it wasn't such a bad idea because i got to fall in love and experience it all before I die. 9. Do you think your family will follow the instructions you left them? I hope they will. I mean, they don't need to follow them exactly, I just want them to move on and live a happy life without thinking about me constantly and grieving over me. It will be healthier for them and would make me very happy. 10. Do you think you've prepared your family enough for your passing? I have done everything I think I could do to prepare them. I have written each one a list of instructions of what to do with their lives once I'm gone and there are groups that can help them get through their tough times and make the arrangements for the burial service. I have done all I can.

Country Guide: GREAT BRITAIN - Country Guide: GREAT BRITAIN describes where the setting of the book "Before I Die" takes place.