Volunteers at SMH

by Alanna from Cookstown, Canada

Volunteers (www.stevensonmemorialhospital.ca/volunteers)

Community; that’s who they love to help. The volunteers of Stevenson Memorial Hospital strive to provide their excellence to the doctors, nurses, and patients of the hospital. From feeding and paperwork, to fundraising and running the coffee & gift shop the hospital truly wouldn’t run the same without them. Volunteers are an integral and valued part of Stevenson Memorial Hospital. – www.stevensonmemorialhospital.ca/volunteering

The volunteers do all of the fundraising for the hospital. They do fundraisers like the winter “Tree of Lights”, “Valentine Carnations”, a tag day, a quilt raffle and October Bazaar, and Meals on Wheels. All of these proceeds go to the purchase of Capital equipment. Thousands of dollars are collected from hospital staff and the community. The volunteers and staff greatly appreciate any donations towards the hospital as the money will be going towards a good cause.

The auxiliary also runs the coffee and gift shop in the hospital. The shop sells everything from doughnuts and coffee to teddy bears and flower bouquets. The volunteers do many things for the hospital like; paperwork for the nurses, feeding the patients, helping visitors to their locations, and doing odd jobs for the nurses, doctors, and patients. “The volunteers are an important aspect of the hospital; it truly wouldn’t run as smoothly without them.” –Nurse at Stevenson Memorial.

(www.stevensonmemorialhospital.ca/volunteers)

The women’s auxiliary at Stevenson are always looking for more volunteers to help at the hospital. The volunteers can be anyone from grown adults to students. If you are a student interested in applying to be a volunteer keep in mind that these hours definitely go towards your community service hours to graduate high school. Once you have completed your 40 hours your service is complete unless you would like to further participate in this wonderful position. This is an amazing way to get the whole community involved with the hospital. Working with people and helping the hospital and community is rewarding. Anyone who can give of their time is invited to become a part of the team of volunteers. -www.stevensonmemorialhospital.ca/volunteering

We chose the volunteers of Stevenson Memorial Hospital as our volunteers because they give up their time to give to their community without anything in return. These volunteers do just that. They are a beneficial part of the town of Alliston and the hospital. They do all the fundraising, odd jobs around the hospital, and they give the opportunity for students to get involved.