Sister Souljah

by Ariele from Raleigh

Sister Souljah Portrait (Internet)
Sister Souljah Portrait (Internet)

A hero to me is an inspirational person. A hero must be honest and trustworthy. A hero should be caring and understanding. A hero should be able to conquer.

Sister Souljah was born in Bronx, New York in 1964 as Lisa Williamson. She was born in the ghetto and despite the odds against her she changed her future so that it wouldn't come out like others or like they said. She was a graduate of Rutgers University in New Jersey, she earned a degree in American History and African Studies. She also attended the Cornell University Advanced Placement Studies, and studied abroad in Europe at the University of Salamanca. Instead of becoming a drug addict or drug dealer she became an author, a lecturer, an activist, and a rapper.

Sister Souljah's autobiography (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?z=y&pwb=1&ean=9780679767084)

During her times of being an activist she was both a student and community activist by opening group homes, halfway homes, and started community groups. During her time of being an author she wrote two best sellers 'The Coldest Winter Ever' and her autobiography 'No Disrespect' which was published in 1995 at the age of 31. During her service to her community and peers she has traveled to England, France, Spain, Portugal, Finland, and Russia.

Currently, Souljah is the Executive Director of Daddy's House Social Programs, the charitable wing of Bad Boy Entertainment. "She was the inspiration and architect of charitable community givebacks and programs for many celebrities. She has also been happily married for over 10 years and has one child. Many people attempt to silence Sister Souljah’s powerful voice. A young influential woman who has achieved so much yet remains down to earth, can be quite intimidating."

Due to the great contribution she has given she has changed a lot and that is why she is my hero. She is one of the famous African American heroes who have changed things for the better. She has taught me no matter what others say, you can decide your own future and because of that I thank her for just making a difference.