Stephen W. Hawking

by Ben Mathie from North Canton

“My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”
Stephen W. Hawking
Stephen W. Hawking

My hero is Stephen W. Hawking. He is best known for his contributions in science and cosmology. He was a professor at the University of Cambridge for 30 years.

He has contributed many discoveries and theories to the fields of cosmology, theoretical physics, and applied mathematics. He has written many books including, A Brief History of Time, and achieved many awards in his lifetime. In 2009, he won the Presidential Medal of Freedom which is the highest civilian honour in the United States.

Stephen was born on January 8, 1942 in Oxford, England. Before he was born, his parents lived further to the north but had to move because of the dangerous conditions during the war. At this time, Hitler's Luftwaffe delivered relentless attacks to London and other cities such as Oxford. He is still alive today, at the age of 69.

He inspires me to think and question things people don't normally question. He helps me look at the world differently. When he was 21, he was diagnosed with a motor neuron disease known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS. Though he is paralyzed, he still finds the strength to write books, teach at the University of Cambridge, and contribute to science. He's not just important to me, he's important to the human race.

I have found in Greek and English mythology that the hero is always looked up to by others, strictly because of their acts and abilities. Stephen Hawking has discovered many things in our universe, and has made countless advancements in science. His massive possession of knowledge alone is enough to be looked at as a hero. I do believe he fits into our definition of hero.

Stephen W. Hawking - Official site
Wikipedia - Information
Brainy Quote - Quotes