Sarah Huisman

by Dominique from New Glarus

Heroes? Yeah I got them. My definition of a hero is someone who loves me for being myself, cares for everyone around her, and is unique. Being unique means that have your own style and do what you believe instead of caring what other people think. Ms. Huisman fits my definition of a hero.

Ms. Huisman is loving because she gives me a boost when I’m down. She treats me like a niece. She tells me she loves me, and boosts my confidence through the roof. I wouldn’t ask for a more loving person.

Ms. Huisman has a neighbor who is like 80. Sometimes he can’t do his yard-work, and Ms. Huisman will come over to do it. She mows the lawn in the spring, summer, and fall. In Florida it is a big help, because it’s like 95 degrees. She takes the garbage out to the street for him. She put money into his funds to get a hover-round. Sometimes she drives me to sports practices. One year when I had really bad allergies, she didn’t make me go outside or I might have gotten a sinus infection.

Is your hero the only woman in a fishing club? Well mine is, and she is part of the Florida Bass Club. Being the only women is a hard thing to do. Men walk past her in the FBC meeting room and give her dirty looks. My heart goes out to any woman in that situation. How unique is a woman in an all man organization. It goes out to them because you have to be strong willed and not care what anyone thinks about them. She is my unique hero, who doesn’t care about anyone’s opinion.

Hero! A hero is someone who fits whatever your definition is of a hero. My definition of a hero is someone who loves me for me, cares for everyone, and is unique. A hero doesn’t have to be Superman, or Spiderman, or even Mr. Incredible. A hero is who you make it. I believe everyone can be a hero! Even you!