Sarah Meyer

by Kennedy from Sulphur

Mrs. Meyer (https://mailhub2.cpsb.org)
Mrs. Meyer (https://mailhub2.cpsb.org)

Everyone has their own definition of hero, so here is mine. A hero isn't someone a cartoonist drew. A hero is someone you look up to. A hero could be Superman or Batman or even a person who inspires you. However, my hero is, Sarah Meyer. She isn't Superman or Batman or, I should probably say, Superwoman. She's a teacher.

The reason why my hero is Mrs. Meyer is because she is my favorite teacher by far! She's supportive, optimistic, and fun to be with. Even though she gives out lots of homework (which the only reason she does this is to help us) it doesn't take that long to complete. She inspires me to be a teacher when I grow up.

Mrs. Meyer is originally from the New Orleans area but has been teaching here in Calcasieu Parish for six years now. She ended up here under unusual circumstances, though. In 2005, a devastating tragedy occurred: Hurricane Katrina hit. Sarah, living in New Orleans at the time, lost everything she owned. Devastated, she realized then that she can survive anything and everything as long as she has her family with her. Of course, in her spare time, she loves to spend time with her husband, children, and grandchildren.

Mrs. Meyer currently teaches SPARK English class at Maplewood Middle School and S.P. Arnett. (SPARK is classes for academically gifted students) I attend Maplewood Middle School and I should probably tell you about my fellow "Sparkles" or the other students in Mrs. Meyer’s 6th grade class.

First, there's Alana. She's the one that you will see dancing it up at pep rallies and games. By the way, she's on the dance line, and I’m just telling you this because I don't want people to think she's crazy! Then, there's Allie. She's the one who always gets 100% correct on all of her tests, which is a good thing. Emma's the girl who likes to read. Then there's me. I don't really know what to say about myself, but you’re reading this, so you can figure out a little about me just by doing that. Well, that's all the girls in our class, so now I'm going to tell you about the boys. Let’s start with Andrew. He's the "tough" guy and talks a lot! (But he's cool.) Then, Alex... where do I start with him? He loves to read, he's probably going to be a zoologist (or something to do with animals) when he grows up, and he loves to talk, too. John Wayne is the kind of person who makes you laugh... a lot. He's tall, and he's very loud, too! You'll always find Gavin reading a book! I wonder if he'll be a writer later in life. That would be cool because I could tell people, "Hey, I know him!" Next up is, Connor. He's loud, funny, and tall. The last "Sparkie" is Jake. He is the funny one, and he's loud when he wants to be. Now, imagine all of us together! Not a very good image in your head, huh? So, poor Mrs. Meyer! How can she handle us all? I sometimes wonder myself.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my hero. All of my classmates have also written about their hero, so read them! Hopefully you will write about your hero (and, if you do, hopefully I have given you some ideas.) Until next time, goodbye.

Sites for Teachers - This is a website for teachers.
American Psychological Association - This website helps improve students' relationships with their teacher.

Hi! My name is Kennedy. I'm in the SPARK program, I'm on the soccer team for my school (Maplewood Middle School,) I love hanging out with my friends, and I love playing softball. In this My Hero Project, you'll read about my SPARK English teacher, Sarah Meyer, my classmates, and close friends. So, enjoy! :)