Shannon Smith

by Korral from Georgetown

Shannon Smith is my one and only personal hero. Mrs. Shannon is not only one of my youth group leaders, and Sunday School teachers, but also a great woman as well. She lives in the small town of Milford, and travels to Milton to go to Eagles Nest Fellowship Church, which is where I met her. She is brave and courageous, but also puts others before herself, even through her fight with breast cancer over the last year.

"Hey guys, I have breast cancer," Mrs. Shannon announced one dreary Wednesday night at youth group. Shannon Smith had just been diagnosed with breast cancer about two weeks before, and was getting ready to go in for surgery in the next week. She told us the whole story about how she found out she had cancer, which ended up being part of the sermon for that night at youth group; that you have to have faith and trust in God through everything, even the tough times in life. This is one of the many reasons that she is my hero, because of how brave she is, and how she believes that everything will be OK. Mrs. Shannon is a person that puts others before herself a lot. Even through her cancer, she still taught Sunday School, came to youth group, and even listened to others. She is a person that will sit and listen to kids talk and give you advice with your problems. She doesn't judge you. She plans lessons and does what she needs to do to prepare for church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights before she does what she has to do for herself.

In my eyes, Mrs. Shannon Smith is a true hero because of the life that she lives. She is brave and courageous, as well as a person that puts others before herself, but also sets a good example for everyone. Mrs. Shannon has taught me a lot about life, and that through everything, you have to trust in God. She is a great person, and a good influence, and because of this, she will always be my personal hero.

This story is about a woman named Shannon Smith, who is one of my personal heroes. For our school wide expedition this year, (a school wide expedition is when the whole school participates in focusing in on one topic, and we learn about that for one week) we are learning about heroes. We had to write about our personal heroes, and this is what I wrote about: