Simone Veil

by Tiffaine from Lille

My heroine is Simone Veil. She was born in 1927 in Nice. She was a politician. She's French. She is a survivor from the concentration camp where she lost part of her family.

She legalized abortion in France on 17 January 1975. She had many roles in French society as Minister of Health in 1974 and President of the European Parliament from 1979 to 1982.

Simone Veil has devoted her life to justice and peace, to women and Humanity. She also fought for the memory of the Shoah to recall the horrors of what happened during the Second World War. She is brave and strong.

I chose her as my heroine because she is a great symbol of feminism. Even today, women are often seen as inferiors and there are still too many inequalities despite the evolution of our society. She fought for women's rights and that's why I respect her and see her as my heroine.