Sam Winchester

by Eric from Athens, Greece

My hero is not a real character. He is fictional, from the TV show named Supernatural. His name is Sam Winchester and he is one of the two protagonists of the show. This guy has really inspired me, and has brought new meaning to things that I have considered valuable and things that I had taken for granted in this life. Even though we might share some resemblance on the outward appearance, the way he deals with the stuff going on in his life is what I really envy, and I'm really trying to achieve these in my life. So, let's begin.

Sam Winchester was born to two loving parents along with his older brother Dean in Lawrence, Kansas. Troubles already had started since he was just a baby, when his mother died in a mysterious fire at his room's ceiling due to supernatural causes, a demon, to be exact. His brother, Dean, being four or five years old at the time, was forced to carry out his brother in order to save him from the searing flames. Sam's father was a hunter, not a regular one, a hunter of the supernatural. A man who hunted vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters and demons... And after his wife's death at the hands of a demon, he knew that there was no other way to be safe, he got Sam and Dean and from that point they were a family of three, living on the road, continuously moving to other places, sleeping in motels in order to be safe. Sam later grew up, without his mother, and out of his family's conditions he learnt how to be responsible in everyday situations from a very young age, even defending himself. Little did he know, that the supernatural was always one step behind him...

Time passed, years were gone, and Sam went to college, he was living on his own now, with his girlfriend Jessica, when all of a sudden his life took a dramatic change. His brother visited him one night and out of the blue, they found Jessica glued to the ceiling, burning in flames, exactly like his mother. It was then where Sam and Dean realised that they are no longer able to have a normal life, they just had to find the demon, and slay him. It is there where the story of Sam starts, from that point and beyond, there is no life for Sam. He is on the road with his brother, always trying to find what they're looking for, and in the process, they save many people's lives from the supernatural, they risk their lives countless times for the sake of others' well-being.

Sam's life will keep going from bad to worse. He will lose his father from the same demon I spoke of earlier. His father was all he got along with his brother. And to make matters worse, his brother will die, leaving him alone in the world. Just imagine, a 26 year old man, without anything, living in motels and eating at restaurants everyday, surviving off credit card fraud, and being expected to go on, stay strong and save people's lives because why? Because that's what he's been doing, taking care, every time, leaving his passions and sufferings. He sees the violent demon in front of him and still he is not afraid, he only has that in his mind, to serve the cause! Even if it means having to break through debris of non-human origins, things out of his reach, he does not crumble, he does not back off no matter how gloomy the weather looks, and even after all the violence he has seen, all the agony he has experienced, even after constantly having to shoot away inhumanely malicious beings and having to chop off their heads and dig graves and burn bones, he remains such a gentle man, still having emotional surges, still falling in love, still hoping for a better tomorrow.

What I see in this character is a personality of steel, a man that will never say die, a man that no matter how dark the situation is, no matter what little hope he has, he will give his best shot to achieve something a lot bigger than his existence, to save others. Even if that means costing his own life, even if that means standing up against Lucifer and Michael themselves, even sacrificing his body and soul to keep the world, the people, safe. Because that's what he did all of his life, despite the pain, the death and the malevolence he was acquainted with. A lot different from my life, sure thing. I was always well, never really had a massive breakdown in my life so far, had two parents take care of me. And that's why I look up to Sam Winchester, because he went through hell, and was brought to his knees, losing everyone he cared for and still fighting through his pain, gazing at the future. But, the thing that he taught me and will always mark my actions from now on, is that no matter what, there is always, always I say, a way out, a way to win.