Save Dade

by Maggie from Fort Wayne

Is it wrong to have true feelings of love, not the same way as God created? In our society today, people of our society, in our nation, have found love in ways that people in our world do not always accept. For years, individuals of many different beliefs have been discriminating against the LGBT community. The LGBT stands for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender. Why has it become such an issue? It has become such an issue from many personal opinions. One “huge” personal opinion that I have found very common is religious value beliefs.

Many people have disagreed with domestic partnership because, they believe God only created for men and women to unite and create partnership. A reason for that belief has made almost rivalries between opposite-sex couples and same-sex couples.

The people who are contained in the LGBT community has decided to no longer be ignored. All those people who have a domestic partnership or transgender has decided to stand up for what they believe in and fight for their lifestyle. They want to create a civil society and no longer be known as different or wrong, but are able to have equal rights. Therefore, they have created an organization that will help do so called Save Dade (from Miami Dade County).

Save Dade was established in 1993 by the gay rights community. This organization was created to protect gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals from discrimination on the basis of their perceived or actual sexual orientation. Save Dade Foundation helps raise awareness for all sexual orientation and gender identities about protections and rights. This foundation has helped the LGBT community lead to living productive lives. Save Dade accepts members to help advocate and educate for equal rights to those gender identities and sexual orientations. So far, they have accomplished five ordinances that have been passed since 1998. Save has also succeeded many missions that they have taken affect for.

In 2002, Save Dade was challenged at the ballot box and had won the vote fifty three percent to forty two percent. From the organization winning the challenge had only been the beginning, and won’t be the end. The LGBT community decided it won’t be the end until they gain their full equal rights.

Wow, Save Dade Foundation has been doing a great job at succeeding for their individual rights. After I had read about Save Dade Foundation, the organization has helped me realize something important. They helped me realize when there is something I believe in, I should definitely fight for it. Those people who are fighting for their rights and opportunities should stand up and be heard. In doing so, Save Dade wants to be supported, so I will help them fight for their rights and help them no longer be discriminated against.