St. Anthony

by Michael from Mankato

St. Anthony of Padua (Google Images)
St. Anthony of Padua (Google Images)

Saint Anthony was born in Lisbon on the Feast of the Assumption. He was born to a wealthy family. His education was at a cathedral school. He later entered a Augustian Abbey. He did this going against the wishes of his parents. He always had visitors who often brought news of the world. Anthony found that the abbey was not to his liking and requested to be switched to another abbey. He was then sent to the Santa Cruz Monastery.

Anthony was chosen to head the hospitality of his new abbey. There he met 5 Franciscans and he found he admired their lifestyle and their simple values and views. The 5 men were on their way to Morocco where they were martyred. When this news reached Anthony he was saddened and spent much time meditating and honoring the Franciscans he had met. He requested to join the Franciscan order.

Anthony soon joined the Franciscans and became a member of the Order of Friars Minor. Anthony then departed for Morocco with the intentions of dying and becoming a martyr, but when he made it to Morocco he became very sick and had no choice but to turn around and leave Morocco.

St. Anthony of Padua (Google Images)
St. Anthony of Padua (Google Images)

Antony then went on a journey to Portugal where he was assigned to a rural hospice in San Paolo. One day a group of Dominican monks came and there was an argument as to who should preach. They were in need of a Franciscan and Anthony was chosen to preach being the most qualified. Anthony attracted many listeners and his speeches held the attention of many. Anthony was later commissioned to preach the gospel throughout Lombardy. Anthony caught Dropsy in 1231 and died June 13, 1231. It was said that on the day he died all the church bells rang and many children cried in the streets.

Anthony is known as the Doctor of the Church and is known as the patron saint of lost things. Saint Anthony is my hero because of all of the times he has helped me and my family when we have lost something. That and also because of the incredible life he led. I think Saint Anthony can be a hero for all of us.

wikipedia. "wikipedia." [Online] Available wikipedia.com.

newadvent. "newadvent." [Online] Available newadvent.org.