Terry Stanley Fox

by Misha from Calgary

''Somewhere the hurting must stop''.
Terry Fox web (I made it)
Terry Fox web (I made it)

Terry Stanley Fox is an amazing Canadian. He was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, but he was raised in Port Coquitlam, B.C. When he was a teenager no older than 18, he was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma and had to have his right leg amputated 15 centimetres above his knee. While he was in hospital, he had a dream to run across Canada, which he called the Marathon of Hope. Of course he had a lot of support from his Mom and Dad, Betty and Rolly, and of course his younger sister, Judith.

Terry Fox (I made it)
Terry Fox (I made it)

Terry Fox is awesome. He has endured many tough things in his journey, the Marathon of Hope. He was strong because he kept on going even though he was badly injured on his right leg. He was a friend to everybody that he met by either helping, donating, or just being kind to them. He was a lifesaver because he helped find a cure for cancer. He was also very smart, brave, kind, heroic, and he was selfless because he risked his life for others. Terry Fox was also a great role model for young children because he taught them that it’s never over till you quit. Terry Fox was great.

Terry fox (I made it)
Terry fox (I made it)

I think that Terry Fox is a hero because he took risks to save other people, unlike a singer for example, who is probably more famous, but has just given people entertainment. Sadly when Terry was only 22 years old, he died in Thunder Bay on June 28, 1981. In his journey he raised over $400.000 in cancer research. For being such a great Canadian, he was awarded the Lou Marsh Trophy, named the Canadian Newsmaker of the year, was voted the second best Canadian of all time, and just before he died, he was awarded the Order of Canada. These are some of the reasons that I chose Terry Fox to be my hero. I mainly chose him because he has done so many great things for Canada and should be recognised for it. I have also learned a lot of things from him. One thing I learned is to never give up.

The Terry Fox Run - Information about the Terry Fox Run
Terry Fox - Information about the Terry Fox Run