Tracey Deng

by Kelly from Philadelphia

Hello, my name is Kelly Deng from McCall Elementary School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Sometimes I ask people; Do you think that heroes are just super? Not just hero alone? Everyone can be a hero. I interviewed my older sister, Tracey, who is still in high school.

Tracey Deng is a student in Central High class of 275. Last year's summer vacation she volunteered at the Academy of Natural Science. I asked her, "Who do you look up to?" "I think that this would be a very hard question for me to answer. I don't think that there is someone who I truly look up to as a role model. I think that I just look up to everyone as an example and just simply learn by myself on how to live life. We tend to say that we look up to someone and practically imitate everything about them but we don't spend enough time focusing on ourselves. I think that looking up to someone is stupid so I don't have someone to look up to. I think I will just take life as it is and do it all by myself. Independence is something I want to achieve and I won't if I constantly think about being someone who isn't me." Tracey said. I asked, "What do you think of society today?" She replied, "I think that today's society is no different from way back then. Even though we live today as an advanced world, we also live in this world full of idiots. As much as I'd like to hear that in today's world we live without racism, I would be completely lying because as much as we say we aren't racist, we are and that's simply because of people's ignorance to learn about other people. We hear so much about incidents about people of opposite races. I don't think that we are ready for peace if we're ignorant of each other. All I have to say to those people is to grow up and open eyes because you're pretty damn stupid." Tracey says for being a good role model, "Absolutely not. I'm not saying that I'm a bad person but I simply wouldn't feel good as someone's role model because I don't really like having weight on my shoulders. I would feel the need to be perfect and that's not who I am and I won't pretend that I am. I mean I'll always be the role model for my siblings because that's what I'm supposed to be but I think I'd rather be an example for them and let them lead their own lives."

In the near future, Tracey said, "In the very near future, I do hope to get into the college of my choice and also lead to a very successful career. Later after that I would like to start a family of my own and just live my life happily and healthy. Also I would like to hope for world peace but I doubt that will ever occur anytime soon." She plans on going to college as being major in Pre-Medicine but if not, she wants to be a Biochemistry major.

Tracey Deng wants to be a doctor when she grows up. To be exact, she wants to be a Pediatrician because she would love to take care of children. I asked about what are the challenges she would face in the path of being a doctor. She answered, "I think that the biggest concern for me is sleep and family. Mainly because as a doctor, you're on the go all the time and have to stay up and work because that's what you do. That's the career you pick and that's what you get. Also I'm concerned about family because I would love to spend time with my parents and siblings but also for my own family that I would like to start not so soon but not so late. I'm just concerned about how I can work and still be in my kids' lives. That might be ridiculous but to me it's a necessary thing to worry about."

For some, Tracey is mean and rude but, she is my hero. Hero means a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities and I think Tracey has those qualities. She is my first sister and only sister. She is helping, a great sister, and sometimes encouraging. She has the "ups and downs" but still keeps on going. Maybe hero is something else to you now.