Angels

Terry Fox

by Michaela from Barrie

Even if I don't finish, we need others to continue. It's got to keep going without me.

Hello, my name is Terry Fox and I am doing a report for Michaela Minnikin. I am Michaela’s hero. She chose me because I am the greatest hero of all time, and she says I am good influence because I ran across Canada to raise money for cancer research. I was born on July 28, 1958 and I apparently died June 28, 1981. I was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and I was educated at Mary Hill Elementary – Port Coquitlam.

My family members are Rolly Fox (father), Betty Fox (mother), Fred Fox (older brother), Darrell Fox (younger brother), and Judith Fox (sister). Some interesting facts about my youth are that I love playing sports of all kinds like soccer, basketball, and swimming. I was influenced by another amputee who ran a New York marathon, and that happened when I was in the hospital for cancer.

I had many obstacles. One was in 1977 when I had pain in my right leg and realized it was cancer and got my leg amputated and my next one was when I ran the marathon of hope and my leg bled out most of the time. I overcame these obstacles by just running in the marathon of hope to raise money for cancer.

I was and still am considered a hero because I ran across Canada to raise money for cancer. An example of my action is when I had my leg amputated and saw so many other kids that had cancer and I felt so bad that I started the marathon of hope. The achievements I accomplished are that cancer research is still going on and the Terry Fox Run is still going on.

Michaela said that the character traits that I have are bravery for what I had to go through, that I have courage because I didn’t sit around and do nothing when I had cancer, and kindness because of my feelings to others. The example for bravery is that I did something against cancer, courage because I did something no one else did, and kindness because I am nice to others. I influenced Michaela because I am a great hero and what I had to go through. See ya.