Thomas Jackson

by Dave from Olympia

“Stonewall” Jackson’s trust in God makes me look up to him with admiration and makes him my hero. Jackson believed that God was sovereign in all things, and this made him calm in the midst of battle. He brought fear to all those in opposition to him on the battlefield. His life reflected his Savior in a powerful way. Throughout his life he left a legacy worth following and in the process earned the nickname of Stonewall.

During his life Jackson demonstrated that he had first-rate principles: love, faith, and courage. While he taught at an institute in Virginia, his students thought of him as strict, yet he was no less strict with himself. Most biographies will not deny his love and faith for his God. In a battle called First Manassas, Jackson earned the name “Stonewall” because while others fled, he stayed calmly at his place while in the face of battle. When asked how he stayed so tranquil with bullets whizzing past him, he answered, “My faith in God has taught me to feel as safe on the battlefield as at home in my bed.” On the battleground he used strategies from the Old Testament. He gave his battles to God. With his fear of God he brought fear to armies twice his size. Even his enemies respected him for his courage and skill. At Jackson’s death his commanding officer, General Robert E. Lee, said, “I have lost my right arm.” Jackson was more than just a good general; he was a solider of Jesus Christ.

Jackson seemed to always have a way around what seemed impossible. Even when faced with staggering odds he took his stand. When looking at this man’s conviction and faith, one has to give him their admiration. He was a man of exceptional principles and morals, and during his life he set an example that others should live by. Looking back on his history and bearing in mind all he did makes me look up to him with very high regard.