Tim Laidler

by Lauren from Anmore, Canada

My hero is Tim Laidler. He lives in Anmore, British Columbia. I live in Anmore as well. What he did to make him a hero is he went to Afghanistan as a Canadian soldier and helped out the Afghan people after the Taliban were kicked out of power. I hope when someone reads my story it inspires them to help out others too!

This is how he became who he is now... One day Tim was at his college and there was a sign up sheet to be in the army. So he signed up. And while he was in training, the captain of the army asked if anyone would volunteer to go to Afghanistan and he volunteered! I got a chance to meet Tim and even asked him questions over E-mail! He told me that he signed up to see what it was like in Afghanistan and to help out. He wanted a chance to make a difference! His job in the war was to guard the supplies and train the the Afghan National Army! He was pretty brave to go to Afghanistan because bad things could have happened to him but that was not one of the hardest things for him. The hardest part of being in Afghanistan in the war was being away from his family and girlfriend!

In Afghanistan, he met some people and even learned about how they lived. What Tim was trying to solve in Afghanistan was stopping the Taliban! The Taliban, who used to rule Afghanistan, were a terrible thing especially for girls. For example, if some girls were caught wearing nail polish on their fingers, their fingers would be chopped off. Women could never leave their houses without a man there. Their faces always had be covered and girls couldn't go to school! What Tim was trying to do was stop this from happening again!

On the way to Afghanistan I think he was scared about what would happen in Afghanistan and what they would think of him. He did make a difference. He might not have stopped the Taliban from fighting back but he did what he could and that is all that matters!

So this is why Tim is my hero. He puts other peoples lives in front of his and also he helped to change the Afghan's lives. He also had courage! What I think people should learn from my story is to put others first, then the world will be better for you !!!!!!!!!