Angels

Ty Pennington

by Kimberley from Minnesota

There are many kinds of heroes in the world. Men, women, and children. They come from all walks of life. From the firemen, paramedics, policemen, Doctors, nurses, military, teachers, pastors, celebrities, to everyday people who just happen to be there at the right time and help someone in their time of need. There are even animal heroes, dogs, cats, horses, and even gorillas. It's hard to pick just one because the ones that I know of are all great.

One hero of mine, whose stories of hope and help inspire me to help my fellow-man, is Ty Pennington.

My hero, Ty Pennington, was born Gary Tygert Burton on Oct. 19, 1964 in Atlanta, Georgia. He and his older brother were raised by his mom Yvonne and his step father who adopted the boys, giving them the Pennington name.

Ty had ADHD which gave him an unruly childhood. In college he received a degree in graphic design while working his way through school as a carpenter.

Ty Pennington in an American television host, a model, a philanthropist, and a carpenter. When ABC began developing a show that would transform peoples homes, Ty was chosen as the leader of an eight person design team. Ty spends 240 to 260 days out of the year working. He has been known to have fought off everything from pulled muscles, heat stroke, to food poisoning to keep his job. He had an emergency appendectomy and filled the show from the hospital. He says that, "It is the greatest job in the world". The show is called "Extreme Make-over Home Edition". Ty is the host and he, along with his team of designers and builders, chooses a family who is in need of a home renovation or new home. Then they along with area builders and volunteers from the family's hometown, completes that family's home project in just one week. On the show he tells the story behind each family's plight.

Some have moved into homes that have made the family sick because of mold damage. Some peoples homes have been damaged or destroyed because of fire or flood. One family had a car drive through their living room. He has helped widows and single-parent families. There is usually a story of how someone in the family has been a hero to others. Ty and his crew rebuilt a home for a fallen 9-11 fire-fighter. They built a plague/ monument in the back yard honoring this fire-fighter who gave his life by going into one of the Twin Towers on 9-11 to the aid of people trying to escape.

Ty and his team have also helped families with special needs children. they design therapy rooms and have made homes wheel-chair accessible.

Each person in the family has a team member who listens to what their individual interests and needs are and then designs their bedroom for them.

Ty Pennington is a genuine, caring, and committed person. He uses his talents to give hope and help, and give a new beginning to families.

I may not become a world-class builder or designer someday, but, I can do something. Ty Pennington inspires me that by everyday random acts of kindness, I can make the world a better place for someone else.