Ty Pennington

by Brady from Eden Prairie

Ty is shouting his Famous words: (Wikipedia)

Ty Pennington is a true philanthropist, which means he’s a person who has a “Deep Love of Human Life,” or wants the best for everyone. Ty Pennington is most well-known for his TV series Extreme Makeover Home Edition. He rebuilds people’s houses that can’t afford to fix or buy a new one so that they’re really cool and big. He really helps people whose houses are run down and are not comfortable for living. People are always super happy when they’re surprised to see what their house looks like.

Patrick Sharrock (ABC Extreme Makeover)
Patrick Sharrock (ABC Extreme Makeover)

In one episode Ty helped the Sharrock Family build a house because their former house wasn’t fit for Patrick, their son, who has a brittle bone disease. Patrick broke both his legs while kicking in the womb. He also is half the size of a normal 9 year old, but Patrick’s heart is bigger than anyone else’s and almost as big as his comic collection. Ty designed a house customized to Patrick so everything is accessible and fun. There is an indoor therapy pool made just for Patrick’s size. There is a soft cork floor to make it easier for Patrick, his kitchen is perfectly sized for him, he has a mini fridge, and everything was custom made for him. The Theme of the house was Super Heroes, because Patrick loves them!

Logo for Access Surf Hawaii
Logo for Access Surf Hawaii

When Ty went to Hawaii he discovered a volunteer group called “Access Surf Hawaii,” that helps kids who have disabilities learn to surf and play water sports. He surfed the whole day helping and surfing with kids who needed a little help. They were so happy that they got to learn to surf with him. He said he finally found the true meaning of “Aloha” with them.

Ty also took part in a fundraiser in a celebrity soccer game to raise money for bone marrow transplant patients in Los Angeles. At half time patients who got bone marrow transplants got to meet their donors. The transplants gave hope to patients all over the world. It was a happy sight! He also helped Bayer Aspirin launch the first “Wonders of the Heart” contest.

When Ty was 17 he was diagnosed with ADHD. He said he was a handful. He really wasn’t treated until later in life. With ADHD he achieved goals that he might not have if he hadn’t had it. It made him try harder to achieve his goals. Ty is an inspiration to me because he does community work and volunteer to help the less fortunate.