Ty Pennington

by Rhiannon from Monroe

Some pretty incredible things can happen when people come together.

Ty Pennington was born October 19th 1964. As a child he lived with his mom, dad, and brother in Atlanta, Georgia.

He first became interested in Home Improvement when he and other kids in his neighborhood built a treehouse Ty designed when he was twelve. From then on he began to teach himself carpentry and home improvement.

Ty Pennington went to the Arts Institute Of Atlanta for college. During his last semester there he was approached by a modeling scout, and soon began an exciting career. He traveled all over the world. When he decided to retire and begin home improvement again, he went and lived in LA.

After being on several home improvement shows like Trading Spaces, he was offered a job on Extreme Makeover: Home Improvement. The show is about a design team of seven or six who would build a house for families who really needed it in seven days. They would have a whole bunch of volunteers come help on building the house while the family is on vacation to a place Ty would send them.

Ty did more then just build and help. Every week he would pick a room to do for himself, it was his special project. Ty would interact has much as he could. Lots of the time he would get a special guest to come on and surprise the family. Also he would help redo things that the family had something to do with - for example if the mom worked at a day care but it was messed up, he would help get it remodeled and get toys for the kids.

To be a family that could possibly be on the show, you have to have been through really hard times, whose houses are not in good condition. Most of the people on the show are people who help the community like Ty when their the ones who really need help. Most of the time these families were nominated, and didn’t ask to be on the show.

I chose Ty because he always thought of others first and it wasn’t all about him. He saved people's lives by building a safe place for them to live instead of a filthy, old, small, broken down house. He never wants anything in return - he was happy just by helping others. I hope I can make a difference like Ty did when I’m older.