Theodore Roosevelt

by Michael from Weyauwega

Teddy Roosevelt was a very unique person. He did so many things that made him a hero to me. Most people would look down upon him for what he did in his presidential period, like his big game hunting and animals he has taken down. He also did a lot of things for the US game reservations and National parks. I'll start with his birth and go on from there. He is my hero because he was a hunter, a Republican and a cool person.

Teddy Roosevelt was born in New York city in 1858. He was born into a very wealthy family, but he was always sick and had many medical problems. Early in life, young Theodore took a strong interest in the natural sciences, which lasted his entire life. This interest was enhanced during 1872 when his family spent the winter travelling up and down the Nile in a private dahabieh. Theodore spent much of his time ashore, collecting specimens and practicing his skills at taxidermy. His intention was to become a natural scientist when he entered Harvard University in the Autumn of 1876. His older life, he got married to Edith Carow in December 1886. They had a son together his name was Kermit. Sadly his wife and his mother died on the same day in 1884.

Teddy Roosevelt did many things in his presidency. He took office after the assassination of President McKinley. He was the 43rd president of the United States, he was a good president. He always fought for the little people in the world just the same as they were millionaires. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1906, he was the first American ever to win the Nobel Peace Prize of any category. He left the presidency in 1909 to go on an African safari with his son then later came back to politics in 1912.

Teddy Roosevelt was an avid outdoorsman and sportsman just the same. He went all across the world to hunt. He spent 2 years in the region he grew up in the South Dakota Badlands. He traveled to Africa to hunt big game in Africa for a year with his son. That trip went all across Africa. To British East Africa to Belgian Congo to the Nile River banks. He also did a lot of hunting in the US mostly around the great plains, and the midwest mountain ranges. They had many hunting styles such as still hunting, but mostly on horseback to spot and stalk.

He also hunted so many big game animals and also the small game animals. Teddy Roosevelt hunted and killed 512 beasts on his trip to Africa that included 17 lion, 11 elephants, and 20 rhino. He also hunted basically everything in the midwestern states such as, teal, snow geese, mallards, skunks, eagles, sharp tailed prairie fowl, grouse, jack rabbits, turkeys, white tailed deer, black tailed deer, rattlesnakes, prairie dogs, badgers, antelope, frogs, bighorn sheep, buffalo, black bear, grizzly bear, and elk.

Part of him being both a president with the power and being a conservationist he was the founder of 5 national parks. The first was Crater Lake in Oregon in 1902, but he didn't stop there, he also founded Wind Cave in South Dakota, and Sullys Hill in North Dakota in 1904, Platt National Park in Oklahoma in 1906, and lastly Mesa Verde in Colorado in 1906. Teddy Roosevelt also fought many battles trying to make the Grand Canyon a National Park as well but did not succeed.

My conclusion of Teddy Roosevelt was that he did so many things for our country. One make it a safer place by defending it with our military, and also by making it so that are wildlife and forests will be able to see our great great grandkids. He is by far my favorite president ever, and that is why Teddy Roosevelt is in my eyes a hero.