Tessa Scott

by Faith Chowoe from Pickerington

'It's as if my heart springs up and marries my soul, as my whole body implodes. Like a stone falling in a pond, circles and circles of love ripple through me.'

When most people think about what a hero is, they think about firefighters or soldiers or policemen. To me, a hero is anyone that is influential. It could be an author, or an artist, your favorite musician, or even the founder of a charity. To be a hero, you have to have the right qualities. Leadership, courage, generosity, and bravery are characteristics of a good leader.

Everyone has someone that they look up to or that inspires them. This would fall under the category of being a hero. It's important to have a positive hero, or role model, so you can set goals for yourself for the type of person you'd like to be. For example, if you're an athlete, and your hero is also an athlete, you could try to do the same training as them so you could excel in your sport. Having a hero makes you want to push yourself into being a better person.

Tessa Scott displays the characteristics of a hero. She's been living with and battling leukemia for four years, and has had to grow up way before her time. Tessa has to have a personal nurse come to her house once a week to check her blood and see if there's anything new in her blood, good or bad. She knows that she doesn't have long to live, and she's come to accept that. During the course of her cancer, she's faced many problems. Should she just sit around and mope about having cancer, or should she try to get on with her life. She once thought 'All I know is that I have two choices - stay wrapped up in blankets and get on with dying, or get the list back together and get on with living.' (Downham 55.) Sometimes she even has to help her dad accept the fact that she's going to die, for example, she once told her dad this, '"I want you to stop, Dad... Stop pretending I'm gonna be all right."' (Downham 193.) Even as a teenager, she knows that she won't have long to live, and trying to be optimistic is hard for her sometimes. She once has a conversation with one of her doctors and asks him, '"I'm not going to make eight weeks then, am I?"' (Downham 260.) She's very matured for her age, most sixteen year olds would be terrified knowing that they were going to die in just eight weeks.

The normal sixteen year old is worried about getting their driver's license or the latest drama in their high school. Only 11.4% of teenagers have to be worried about having leukemia, or cancer in your bone marrow, and Tessa Scott is one of these teenagers. Living with leukemia is a roller coaster. She never knows when she'll pass out because of low blood cells, or if she'll need more than one blood transfusion in one week. But living with cancer has made her a stronger and braver person. She now knows the importance of life, and how being in someone's life can be a major impact. Tessa Scott is one of my heroes because she taught me the importance of life. It's a gift, don't waste it.

Q1: Who would be one of your heroes and why? A1: My biggest hero would have to be my dad. He's always been there for me as long as I could remember. He's lost hours of sleep staying by my side in the hospital, and he never once complained or even moaned about it. Q2: What qualities do you think a hero should have? A2: A hero should be brave and willing to confront any situation they are given. Q3: Do you think you could be somebody's hero? A3: I might be. I mean, living with cancer has made me a stronger person, although I still have fears of dying. I've had to overcome many different obstacles. So, yes, I think I may be a hero in some peoples eyes. Q4: Who do you think you'd be a hero to? A4: I would be a hero to the little girls and boys living with cancer. I know it's not an easy thing to deal with. Q5: Who was your favorite super-hero growing up? A5: It would have to be Superman. He was invincible, except when he was faced by his only defeater, kryptonite. I think that we sort of have something in common. The only thing that could stop Superman or bring him down was kryptonite. And the only thing that's stopping me in leukemia, but not for long. Q6: How do you feel about your friend Zoey naming her baby after you? A6: I feel honored. It's like a piece of me is always going to be remembered on the earth even when I've passed. Q7: How do you feel about Adam right now? A7: He's the love of my life. I'm happy I met him, because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have had the drive to live like I do. Q8: How do you feel about Adam going to college? A8: I'm happy for him. He wants to go somewhere with his life. Q9: What's you favorite color? A9: Yellow, because it's the color of the sun, and I love summer. Q10: What do you want to be remembered as when you die? A10: I want to be remembered as the girl that always had a smile on her face, and wasn't remember for her cancer. I don't want people to feel bad for me, either. I just flat out want to be remembered.

Before I Die By: Jenny Downham