Terry Fox

by Felicia and LindsayMae from Quebec, Canada

A determined Terry Fox.
A determined Terry Fox.

A hero is someone who is courageous and who never gives up on anything or anyone. A hero is someone who helps others believe that they can do something that they think can't be done. We believe this hero is Terry Fox.

Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba on July 28th, 1958. Through his years of growing up, Terry at an adolescent age was involved in many sports. In 1997, at the age of eighteen, Terry was diagnosed with osteogenetic sarcoma cancer, otherwise known as bone cancer. Terry had to have his leg amputated. This was a tragic hit to Terry and his family, but he fought through this situation and never gave up once. Terry is without a doubt a hero because with a hero comes great passion and dedication for yourself and for other people.

<a href=http://boldts.net/album/TerryFoxMemorial.shtml>The Terry Fox memorial</a> in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
The Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Our hero did something that everybody is very familiar with and that is he ran a marathon, known as the Marathon of Hope. He ran this marathon to raise money for cancer research with his artificial leg. Terry started running in St. John's, Newfoundland, on April 12th, 1980. He had to stop running in Thunder Bay, Ontario after running 5373 km because the cancer had reached his lungs. Still, Terry never gave up hope and hope is what kept Terry alive for as long as possible.

Terrance Stanley Fox is a hero to both Felicia and LindsayMae because cancer is a never ending battle that is faced everyday of our lives and we believe that just by his courageous actions, we know there is hope. We believe that someday there will be a cure that will be found and with people donating money to this worthy cause, there is no doubt in our minds we can do this. We must believe like Terry did. We must never give up. We must keep on fighting this battle. We must pursue Terry's dream.

<a href=http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms_images/ship_site_images/ship_gallery/330/Terry%20FoxL.jpg>Marathon of Hope</a>
Marathon of Hope

Terry went out on a limb for all of us and it is up to us to keep on going out on that limb further and further!

Terry Fox - Brainy Quotes
Terry Fox Foundation
Terry Fox - Answers

"It almost hurts me to walk down a road and have people grab my hand and ask for my autograph and not sit and talk. When I'm finished I'm not going to be on the front page, but I'm going to be just as happy without the publicity."

LindsayMae says: "A hero is somebody who is courageous and never gives up. A hero is somebody who stands out beyond all and I believe Terry Fox is that person."

Felicia says: "I believe a hero is someone who helps other people believe that they can do something that they think can't be done. I consider Terry Fox to be one of those people."