Library

Tessa

by Cori from Pickerington

A hero to me is someone who puts others before themselves. Also someone who fights for what they believe in or want. Someone who never gives up no matter what gets in their way. That's what a hero is to me.

I think it's important to have someone you can look up to. A good role model. So yes, it's important to have a hero. But you should have a hero who is a positive person. Not someone who will influence you to make bad choices. Your hero should be someone you can trust.

(http://fmsenglish.com/ALA%20Top%2010/2008%20Top%2010.html)

In my novel Tessa is the hero in my eyes. Tessa is a hero because, she is not afraid to admit she is scared. She admits this to Adam when he asks her, and she says, "It comes and goes. People think if you're sick you become fearless and brave, but you don't. Most the time it's like being stalked by a psycho, like I might get shot any second. But sometimes I forget for hours." (Downham. pg.116) This shows how real Tessa is. She doesn't put on an act. Another thing that makes Tessa a hero is her list. Even though she is dying she doesn't give up on what she wants to do. When asked about one of the things on her list Tessa says, "I've got a list of things I wanna do before I die..." (Downham. pg.191) Another way Tessa is hero is she isn't afraid to love even when she's dying. She still lets herself fall in love with Adam. She lets herself enjoy him while she can. She depends on him for strength. Her dad has to tell her though, "Adam's just a kid, Tessa. You can't rely on him for everything: he might let you down." (Downham. pg.240) Which is right you can't depend on someone else for everything. These are all reasons why I choose Tessa to be the hero in my book.

Tessa is a true hero because she's not afraid to admit she fears death. She doesn't let death stop her from living though. She makes a list and sets goals for herself even though she doesn't know how much longer she has left. This all makes her a true hero because it shows she is fearless and doesn't give up on what she wants. I believe a hero fights for what they want and doesn't give up on their dreams. Tessa never gives up on the things on her list. This makes her a true hero for sticking with her dreams.

Cori- What is a hero to you?
Tessa- A hero to me is someone who stays with the people they love through anything. They are brave and never give up on the ones they love.

C- Who is your hero in life, and why?
T- My hero has to be my father. He has done so much for me and never gave up on me. Through everything he is still looking for someway to make me better. He never gives up.

C- How has your hero helped you deal with your condition?
T- My dad has helped me because he never stops trying. Even though we all know I'm going to die, my dad acts as if he is going to find a cure. Sometimes that is a bit annoying but it can also be very comforting.

C- Does your hero approve or help you with your list?
T- At first my dad didn't seem to be happy about my list, but after awhile i think once he saw how important it was to me all he wanted to do was help me.

C- How do you think your hero feels about you?
T- I know my father loves me, but I feel at times I really let him down.

C- What will be your last words for your hero?
T- Just that I love him. And that, when I'm gone, to move on and be happy.

C- Do you consider yourself a hero?
T- No. I have been scared and selfish. I could have handled all this differently. I'm not fearless, I'm scared.

C- Do you consider cancer survivors heroes?
T- Yes. I wish I could be like them. To be brave and live. They never give up. I'd love being like them.

C- How do you feel about being my hero?
T- I'm surprised actually. I don't think I've done anything to be considered a hero. I just made a list and did what I wanted. But I am flattered.

C- When you're gone, what do you want people to remember you for?
T- I want people to remember me as the girl who didn't give up on what she wanted just because she was dying. Someone who lived life to the fullest even while dying. Someone who was happy.

National Leukemia Foundation - This relates to my book because, Tessa had leukemia and this fondation helps people who have leukemia.

This is a novel by Jenny Downham. Its about Tessa, a sixteen year old girl who has leukaemia. The book tells of Tessa's list of things to do before she dies, and how she does them.