Tessa

by Audrey from Pickerington

Tessa loves to ride on the back of her boyfriend's bike

I believe a hero is someone that has helped another person in any way, or someone who has given their time for the good of someone else. Anyone could be a hero as long as they're doing it for someone besides themselves and don't complain about it.

It is very important to have a hero, because in a way a hero is like a role model. Kids find their heroes and look up to them. They want to be like them. However if their hero turns out to be bad it could influence the people that see them as a hero to change as well and could effect their lives forever. Without heroes, people would not be as caring and the world wouldn't run as well.

In the novel "Before I Die" I believe the hero is a girl named Tessa. She is dying of cancer and sometimes she could hate life but she would want to be strong for her dad if he is upset. She's done with lying in bed even though she knows she has a few months to live, she's ready to start living. She makes a list and asks her best Zoey to make her complete it. She begins to think, "How long can I stave it off? I don't know. All I know is that I have two choices - stay wrapped in blankets and get on with dying, or get the list back together and get on with living" (Downham 55.) "I looked thin and brown and hopeful. I was in remission for the first time" (Downham 48.) That's what Tessa thought the first time she was in remission but she has lost hope this time, so she must complete the list so she's lived as much as she can. Tessa's dad is a single parent after her mom left and is struggling with Tessa's illness finally she's had enough and she tells him "Stop pretending I'm going to be alright" (Downham 193.) Although it hurts him it's the right thing for her to say. She gets what she wants, love, a boyfriend, being famous, and many other things. So having completed all this she's okay when she dies, I think that is heroic because not a lot of people would live like that knowing what she did.

I think Tessa would be a great addition to the Hero Hall of Fame. Who else could say that they completed their bucket list before they died? Not a lot, most people would sit in their houses feeling sorry for themselves. Tessa didn't though she got out into the world and accomplished the things she wanted too. She was afraid of death but she made her decision because wanted to stop the treatments and got on with dying which is brave in its self. She made sure her family knew what she wanted them to and left them knowing it was alright. Which is heroic because she has made sure they will get on with their lives when she's gone, as much as she may hate the thought.

1.) What was your first thought when you found out it was die peacefully or try to stay alive and maybe not win the battle? My first thought was I'm not ready to die, but I hate those treatments. 2.) Writing your list, what was the main things you thought about? What everyone else would get to try that I would not be able to because I'd be in the ground somewhere. 3.) Who is your hero? My hero is Adam because he stayed with me through it all. 4.) What will be your biggest regrets once you die? Not getting to ever see Adam or Zoey or any of my family again. 5.) When you saw your family without you what did you think? Is this how it's going to be when I'm gone? Will they forget me? Am I already dead? 6.) What were you most happy to accomplish? Falling in love with the boy next door, Adam. 7.) Why were you still friends with Zoey even when you hated her? She could make me laugh which got me through a lot. 8.) Do you think you should be considered a hero? No all I'm going to do is die. 9.) Do you think your family looks at you as a hero? No, they probably don't because they maybe not have respected my choice. 10.) Why did you throw all your stuff out the window? I was hurt no one was home to greet me and I wanted to forget everything, I didn't want them to have anything left of me.

American Cancer Society - My hero had cancer and was going to die but spent her last few months living life to the fullest.

This book was inspiring to live life the way you want to everyday, because it can be cut short.

"Before I Die" By: Jenny Downham