Velma Holleman

by Gabrielle from Union

Hero: The word Hero to me means someone whom you look up to. They are admired for their noble/brave actions and have courage and the ability to do great things.

My Super Woman

Hero: The word Hero to me means someone whom you look up to. They are admired for there noble/ brave actions and have courage and the ability to do great things.

In most cases a hero to a child or young adult is a movie star, a singer, or a sports player but I’m very different. My hero grew up on a large farm in Nicholas Ville, Kentucky. She had eight brothers and sisters and most days did work on her parent’s farm. My hero is my grandmother, who I call Nana. Ever since I can remember she’s always been like super woman.

My Nana has overcome many things in her lifetime. Growing up in a small farm house with a large family of eight siblings can be difficult. She didn’t receive much alone time nor quiet time. Her parents also needed a lot of help on their farm so she couldn’t get all of the education she needed. Going through all of this she is still was able to have a good life. She met my grandpa (poppy) in the city, where she decided to move. She made sure that they would raise a family with children who would get the education that she never got. My grandpa and grandma had two kids. One was named Mike and the other Sandy (my mom). Mike graduated college and was the quarterback for Boone County High school. My mom (Sandy) graduated from the University of Kentucky and ran track. This was extremely pleasing to hear to my Nana.

My Nana was not only a great mother to her children but she is also an amazing grandma to my sister, my cousin, and I. She has taught me so many valuable lessons that will help me all through my life. Some of the things she has taught me is to always be kind to everyone no matter what, always be polite, not only to adults but also my peers, and how to the cook the most amazing food! One of the most important lessons of all is that believing in god is extremely important. Because of my Nana I was baptized just last summer. It never ran across my mind until I started to feel scared that if something happened to me I wouldn’t be saved. So one day that I was visiting my Nana I told her how I was feeling and she told me story about when she was my age. She said that she had put off getting baptized for the longest time and began to feel scared herself. So she was baptized that Sunday at church and from then on didn’t feel scared anymore.

Besides all of the wonderful lessons she has taught me, she has also always been there for me, every minute and every day. Whenever I am sad or sick she is always willing to help me. She gives the best and most kind hearted advice anyone has ever given me. My Nana has also made sure I did the best at everything that I tried.