Valentino Severini

by Kathryn from Wheeling

Valentino Severini was born in Italy in 1923. He moved to Long Island, New York. He met my grandma over the phone at age forty. My grandfather was nice, funny, sweet and caring. He took me on walks around his house. One day we went on a treasure hunt, and found his old uniform from the navy. I really didn’t need help with homework, because I was in preschool.

On Christmas, he would dress up as Santa and give everyone their presents. My grandpa is important to me because he loved me and helped me if I needed it. My grandpa made a difference to me because he showed me how to care for people so much.

My grandfather died in 2003, at age eighty. He died of lung cancer. Before he passed away, I sang “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer”, which was my favorite song. He was so happy. On his memorial day we let butterflies free and mine was blue and it made me feel that I know my grandfather is free like the butterfly. I miss him a lot, but all these memories make it seem like he’s still here.