Vince Tucker

by Andy from McCook Lake

What is a hero? Is it someone who saves lives, or maybe someone who is rich and powerful? My hero doesn't have any of these qualities. He is not wealthy. I don't believe he has ever saved a life, and he is not famous. So what makes him my hero? He has taught me many lessons throughout the time I've known him. He is highly respected among his peers and someone to look up to. He is also a friend. Vince Tucker is my hero.

Tucker has taught me many things over four years. He taught me to love history more than any other subject. He has also taught me that there are times to be serious and times to mess around. His teaching didn't get me the best grades due to my laziness, but it did stick with me. Most subjects I've mostly forgotten. Take math for example: I've taken algebra 2 but i have no idea how to solve for an imaginary number, but I still remember that the civil war ended at the Appomattox courthouse, or that Spiro Agnew was accused of tax evasion, resulting in the loss of his vice presidency.

He has been a teacher at Dakota Valley for over ten years, and over his career he has gained the respect of staff and students alike. He has received a Staff Member of the Month almost every year. Everyone who has gone to this school or has taught at this school knows him, and probably has a story to tell. He was the head coach of the football team from 1998-2004, and took us to the state championship in 2001, only losing by one point. He was looked up to by all of his players and respected by fellow coaches. He is now the throwing coach for Dakota Valley track.

You may ask how a teacher can really be a friend. You may think they're not really your friend, that it's all an act. Not true. He is a friend and he lets you know it. He talks life with me all of the time, and reassures me that i have great potential in life. I lose sight of that more often than i had realized, and writing this story is opening my eyes again. After taking his classes and talking with him i had seriously considered going to college to be a history major. He is a great friend.

Vince Tucker is my hero. There are many valid reasons, but my top three are simple. A hero to me is someone who can teach you even through a simple conversation, someone who is respected and also respects, and someone who is a friend for no more of a reason than to encourage and tell you that you can make it. Vince Tucker is my hero, my role model, my teacher, and my friend.