Vivateen

by Shalon from Pickerington

DEFINITION OF A HERO: Someone who has courage, exceptional integrity, character, and strength. Someone who is willing to put humanity before themselves. Someone who sticks up for what they believe in and doesn't care what people say about them. Lastly, someone who is a savior and role model to the people around them.

IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A HERO? Yes, I do believe it is important to have a hero in your life. We need heroes first and foremost because our heroes help define the limits of our aspirations. Heroes are a symbol for all of the qualities we would like to possess and all the ambitions we would like to satisfy.

My grandma at age 23
My grandma at age 23

WHO'S YOUR HERO? My personal hero is my grandma, Vivateen. She fits my definition of a hero because of her courage, exceptional integrity and strength. For example, she could not hear so she had to learn to read lips and when she was five her mother had passed on and she became an orphan. Her aunts took her in and raised her, but she was not in a stable environment. She bounced around from place to place, home to home. My grandma has always been there for me. She makes me strive for excellence and encourages me to do my best. I can tell her anything and she will understand and give me advice to help me in the situation. My grandma is joy to be around and an exceptional individual.

HALL OF FAME: You should induct my Grandma Vivateen into the Hero Hall of Fame because she is the most trustworthy, honest, supportive, dependable human being on the planet Earth. She will always tell you the honest truth and gives her one-hundred percent opinion. She supports everything that you try. She will be there to cheer you on. You can depend on her to be there in any type of weather be it rain, snow, or hail. These aspects are the reason why my Grandma Vivateen should be inducted into the Hero Hall of Fame.

My grandparent's reception (1958)
My grandparent's reception (1958)

WHO'S YOUR HERO'S HERO?

1. What is your definition of a hero? A person who does things for other people with very little regard for their own safety

2. Do you think it is important to have a hero? Yes, because if you have a hero whether it's real or imaginary it gives you someone to look up to

3. Who’s your hero? From a biblical point of view, Jesus Christ is my hero. He fits my definition of a hero because he sacrificed his own life.

4. What qualities must a hero have? Unselfishness, truthfulness, insight and, lastly, bravery.

5. Do you think you are a hero? I would imagine to a lot of people I am a hero, but I don’t see myself as hero.

6. If you were a superhero, what would your powers be and why? I would like to have the powers of superman, to leap to the tallest building and to outrun a locomotive and to have insight.

7. What is something that you’re proud of? My life accomplishments. i successfully raised five children who all graduated from college and are successful professionals. That is what I am most proud of.

8. Now that I choose you as my superhero, how do you feel? I feel proud that you would think of me as someone that fits a definition of hero

9. What advice would you give me to help me in the future? Work hard, and to not see life's insurmountable obstacles.

10. What is a strength and weakness that you have? One strength is my ability to comfort people who are in dire straits, and my weakness is public speaking.

Summary: I respect my grandma because she has a leadership position and she is a caring loving person that is always by my side. She is a very strong, powerful women that doesn’t take no for an answer. She is the best grandma on the planet!

Vivateen’s info: she is a 76 year old woman that lives in Youngstown, Ohio with her husband Joseph Conley. They have five children together that are grown and getting older by the minute. She was born in Buford, South Carolina in the year 1935. She doesn’t talk about her childhood much because she had many hardships and she doesn’t want to relive those memories. She graduated from high school and she was a basketball all-star. She has a lot more information about her childhood to tell that has not been uncovered yet. Hopefully I can get the whole story of her childhood before her time is up.