William H. Gates III

by Justin from San Diego

(http://www.biography.com/people/bill-gates-9307520 ())

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." Bill Cosby states in this quote that a man of success cannot simply wake up one day on a bed of money; a man of success must wake up and earn it without the fear of failure. A young man from Seattle, Washington cut his education short to become one of the most famous computer software designers in the world and donated over 28 billion dollars as a philanthropist. But before his major fame began, he was just a man at Harvard University interested in software designing, when one day he and a friend decided to co-found one of the richest companies in the world known as Microsoft. This inspiring epitome of sheer success is known as William "Bill" H. Gates. Gates can be described best in one simple word: hero. He acquires all the characteristics a hero contains such as the balance between power and humbleness. William H. Gates is prominent throughout the entire world for his personal wealth and his large career in software design. Although that is a large part of what makes him inspiring, it is how he mounted and escalated to his success and what he chooses to do with his money that makes him such a man of courage and distinguished character.

Gates had to return to Harvard to get his degree (http://kenhsinhvien.net/forum/topic/119935-bai-pha ())

Gates was extremely courageous for tackling such a challenging career at a very young age. He was a very intelligent student in high school, which is one of the reasons why he was accepted into Harvard University. However, things got complex in his second year of college when he read an article on Software designing and made a bold decision, "Gates dropped out of Harvard in 1975, ending his academic life and beginning his career in earnest as a software designer and entrepreneur." ("William Henry Gates III") Harvard University is an extremely difficult college to be accepted into, and just the fact that Gates was accepted shows he was very assiduous. But when gates took a bold decision to drop out to begin his career in software designing, this portrayed him as daring and brave, because many would never dare to take such a perilous risk. Later on in Gates' career, he took on the job of a philanthropist with his wife Melinda Gates. But he took on a gutsy choice of trusting his wife when they merged into one foundation. William H. Gates acquired his very own foundation called The William H. Gates Foundation, which focused on global health. He and his wife owned a separate foundation known as The Gates Learning Foundation, "Bill and Melinda work together to expand opportunity to the world's most disadvantaged people by collaborating with grantees and partners... In 2000, to increase efficiency and communication, the two groups merged into the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation." (William (Bill) H. Gates) It took a lot of trust to believe that he would be just as successful with just one organization working alongside his wife, but he lead with his gut and merged the two foundations into one. He was not afraid of failure and knew that this was the best decision for his family. Although this act of courage may not be as eye popping as dropping out of college or starting a business, sometimes it is the small things a person does that makes them so brave and heroic. William H. Gates'choices of dropping out of Harvard and merging foundations with his wife shows pure courage for the intense risks he was willing to take, it is those two actions that lead me to believe that Gates could be a true role model for everyone to look up to.

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/jan/12/eth ())

When Bill and Melinda Gates formed The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation together, it was a whole new beginning for education and global health. Gates was rewarded the richest man on the planet in 2007 but ranked down to second due to all of the money he gave away to charities. "Gates donated $750 million over 5 years to help launch the Global Fund for Children's Vaccines, $50 million to help the World Health Organization's efforts to eradicate polio, and $3 million to help prevent the spread of AIDS among young people in South Africa." (William Henry Gates, III) Gates has outdone himself with his generous donations to save many lives, and he has a good heart to those suffering and in need of help. With his surprising sacrifice of his huge company to become a full time philanthropist, it proves that he does not only care for himself, but also the health of other people. Even though Gates donated an absorbent amount of money for global health purposes, he also made huge contributions for educational reasons. "Authoring software would provide tools for students and teachers to work on projects and presentations for greater learning." (William (Bill) H. Gates) Bill gates states how he could create suitable software for schools to create presentations and other projects. This would be a huge building block for our youth and teachers around the nation. Considering how education is one of the most important things for a child, many believe The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation could be a great hope for the future. With Gates' huge contributions to help with education and global health, he can be seen as a great, generous hero. It is these characteristics that make him into a huge inspiration for others.

William H. Gates is heroic for his distinguished character, and courage. He is famous throughout the entire world for his large career in Microsoft and personal wealth. His amazing heart for the needy and children portrays him as an inspiring hero. Gates was just a young man from Seattle, hoping to achieve a prospering career in software designing. But in just a matter of time, he became one of the richest men in the world with a huge foundation helping to educate children and save lives nationwide. He inspires me to live everyday as if it might just be the last day of my life. Gates' success encourages me and others to get out of our beds and make a difference in the world we live in. By creating The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, He saves lives daily with a simple check. He has made my life much easier to live in with the technology he created for education. I can't imagine living in a world without Microsoft therefore I cannot live in a world without William H. Gates. Gates raced through his career without having a sense of what the finish line would be. And right now, I don't believe there is one yet for Gates because he continues to surprise me with incredible actions. Gates strives for success without any fear of failure and I believe that has made all the difference in his amazing life so far. A hero cannot be simply be made, it must be achieved.

Gates, Bill. "Bill Gates On Education, Philanthropy, and Track Balls." Education Week 18, no.     25, March 3, 1999.

"Microsoft Corporation." Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History. Ed. Thomas Carson and   Mary Bonk. Detroit: Gale,                     1999. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

William (Bill) H. Gates III." Bill Gates - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. N.p., 1999. Web. 10    Dec. 2012. .

"William Henry Gates, III." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10                                 Dec. 2012.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - More on the Gates' foundation and what they do
Science Discovery - A Short Video on Gates' Life
Microsoft - Gates: Chairman Of Microsoft