Sir William Osler

by Sami from Shippensburg

this is sir william osler (msn.com/pictures)

Sir William Osler is a major influence on my family and a lot of other people too. He is a major part of medical history. He is one of the founders of Johns Hopkins hospital. He was the first physician-in-chief of Johns Hopkins hospital and remained so for 16 years.

He was born in Bond Head, Ontario. He was eighth of nine children. His father was an Anglican minister. He study in 3 different countries including Canada, United States, and England. In 1884 he joined the medical staff at the University of Pennsylvania, then five years later he moved to Baltimore where he was named the first physician-in-chief at John's Hopkins hospital.

Sir William Osler strived to create and maintain the best possible medical school. He did so by bringing the students to the patients' bedside to study how he worked with and around his patients. This training included hands on examination and listening to the description of the patients symptoms. He is mostly famous for this practice of having his students study like this.

Sir William Osler was regarded as Mcgill University's most eminent medical graduate and most eminent member of their faculty. At the time of his death he was regarded as the most famous and best loved physician of the English speaking world. He has become the ideal model for doctors to follow. His first wish was to be a minister like his father.

So as you can see, Sir William Osler was a great man. He established medical practices that are still used by doctors today. He truly is a person that should be recognized as a hero.