Earthkeepers

Will Steger

by Ashley from Minnesota

(http://gustavus.edu/news/headlines/photos/large/3204_b.jpg)

Will Steger, born and raised in Richfield, Minnesota, is a well known expeditioner and voice for Global Warming. For over 40 years he has had many expeditions by dogsled, kite-ski, or kayak in freezing cold temperatures. Steger has traveled all over to schools, colleges, and more; having seminars to teach the impact Global Warming has put on the earth. The Will Steger Foundation was made so that others can see the effects Global Warming has made on humans and the environment. The foundation is to broaden our perspective on the way we live and to come up with solutions to help stop the dramatic change that is occurring on our world.

The most recent expeditions were in March- June and June- July of 2008. In March, a group of six young adults and Will Steger set off to Ellesmere Island for a 1,400 mile dogsled. The young learners got to see first-hand the impact Global Warming has put on the earth. In June, three young adults, who went on the Ellesmere expedition, and Will Steger went from east to west on the Greenland Ice Cap. It was a 500 mile kite-ski trip, documenting the rising in the thaw level.

Future expeditions include April-May of 2009 and November-February of 2010. In April, Will Steger and his team will do a never-attempted 2,400 mile kite-ski on the Greenland Ice Cap. The expedition will be used to study and focus on “Greenland’s importance in the Arctic and global ecosystem.” In November, Will Steger and three veterans will kite-ski to West Antarctica. This will be a K-12 program that shows the investigation of Global Warming.

If you want to learn more about Global Warming or do something about it; Will Steger has three sites that can help. Global Warming 101 is a site where you can take action, learn about Global Warming, and learn about the most recent expeditions. Will Steger has another site for his journal. It is for when he wants to post important news or if he is on an expedition, he can use his journal to tell you what is happening and what he is seeing on his expedition. Lastly, Will’s Foundation website is where you can also learn about expeditions or you can learn how to take action.

Will Steger is a strong hearted, adventurous, courageous, and caring man who has dedicated his life to learning and helping save the earth, along with educating us. He is a truly an amazing person and my hero.