The Wright Brothers

by Tia from Arcadia

The Wright Brothers are true heroes. They had an inspiring life, accomplished some heroic deeds, and have made me think. The Wrights are my heroes.

The Wright Brothers’ lives were full of adventures and discoveries. Wilbur was born April 16, 1867, and Orville was born August 17, 1871. When they were young, their father came home with a toy helicopter. That toy amused them. In 1893, they open a bike shop in Ohio. Soon, they built newer bikes. Those inventions lead to flying. They toy helicopter was used for a model! Wilbur was nicknamed Ullam and Orville was named Bubs. Wilbur passed away on May 30, 1912 at age 45. Orville died January 30, 1998 at age 76.

There were many heroic deeds that Wilbur and Orville accomplished. They built the first ever airplane that could fly. The first successful flight lasted 12 seconds on December 17, 1903. The Wright Brothers were the first American heroes in the 20th century. Wilbur and Orville’s longest flight lasted 39 minutes.

Learning about the Wright Brothers has made me ponder. I’m glad that they had invented the airplane. Without it, we would have to take a ship to get to China or Europe! It surprised me so much that they could fly. I hope I could make an invention that everyone around the world can use in the future. Maybe more people in the future will invent great machines that will inspire someone else to think.

Two great heroes are Wilbur and Orville Wright. Learning about their lives and their heroic deeds has given me thoughts. They are heroes.