Wright Brothers

by Leon from Dublin

A hero doesn’t have a specific definition. To different people heroes can vary. A hero doesn’t necessarily have to have superpowers like Superman. A hero, from my point of view, has to be persevering, kind, honest, respectful, and most of all a hero must be responsible for his or her actions. It takes many characteristics to become a hero, but anyone can become a hero if they work hard.

The Wright Brothers are known for their incredible invention of the airplane. Wilbur Wright was born on April 16, 1867 in Millville, Indiana. Orville Wright was born on August 19, 1871 in Dayton, Ohio. One day their father, Milton Wright, brought home a toy helicopter that was powered by a rubber band. This toy is probably the item that inspired them to build the Wright Flyer and to conduct the world’s first powered airplane flight.

Orville Wright was the first person to fly in their airplane (the Wright Flyer.) The brothers decided who would fly first by flipping a coin and Orville Wright won. The flight was 12 seconds long. Unbelievably, the Wright Brothers had achieved the impossible, they had successfully created the world’s first motorized airplane!

I think the Wright Brothers definitely qualify as a hero. Why? They persevered through many hard times. When people said the idea of flight was preposterous and only birds were meant to fly, they still stuck with the idea of motorized flight. The Brothers messed up many times on the design of the first airplane. They were always responsible for their actions and admitted their mistakes. The Wright Brothers showed heroism uncountable times during their quest to build the first working airplane this world has ever known.