Yanagi Koutarou

by Nadya from Jakarta

Yanagi Koutarou<br> (Yanagi Koutarou DVD + First Solo Photobook YA・NA・GI)
Yanagi Koutarou
(Yanagi Koutarou DVD + First Solo Photobook YA・NA・GI)

First of all, I’ll tell you about his profile. 柳浩太郎 (Yanagi Koutarou) was born on 21st December 1985 in Berlin, Germany, and now lives in Japan. His family name is Yanagi, and his first name is Koutarou. He is approximately 165 cm in height and 48 kg in weight. He attended American School in Japan, so he can speak English fluently. His friends called him Yanagi as his nickname. He has karaoke as hobby and his specialities are street-dance, lock dance, and pantomime. His favorite color is black and white. His favorite movie is Mononoke Hime, a Japanese animation. Now he is a member of D-BOYS, a part of Watanabe Entertainment group.

About his works: many of his fans knew him first on ミュージカル「テニスの王子様」(Musical Tennis no Oujisama) as Echizen Ryoma. Musical Tennis no Oujisama is a stage show presented in Japan. Tennis no Oujisama or Prince of Tennis is a popular boys’ comic in Japan and outside Japan. Not only comic, it also already has TV animation series, musical performance, movie animation, and soon it will also have a live action movie. His first appearance was on the first season of the musical in 2003. But, due to car accident in the end of 2003, he was unable to play in the second or third season of the musical.

Yanagi Koutarou <br>(Yanagi Koutarou DVD + First Solo Photobook YA・NA・GI)
Yanagi Koutarou

He had a terrible car accident. As far as I know, the car crashed into him from the right when he was walking. He was in a coma for some time. Half of his body, the right part, was paralyzed. And he also got an injury in his vocal cords. It is a fatal injury for an idol. But, with all of his strength and not giving up, he made a come-back appearance in the fourth season of the musical in 2004/2005 winter. This musical is called Musical Tennis no Oujisama in Winter 2004-2004 Side Fudomine Special Match. Because he was still not fully recovered, Yanagi played as Echizen Ryoma along with his friend from D-BOYS, Endou Yuuya.

Until now, he’s still not fully recovered. He still has some problem when walking, and go to rehabilitation center frequently. Although his condition isn’t 100% fit, he can make such great works. He can do performances in front of hundreds people. Another of his works:

• Movies: "あゝ!一軒家プロレス" (Aa~! Izakaya Purores) [2004] & "痴漢男" (Chikan Otoko) [2005]
  • Drama : “Rocket Boys” [2006]
  • Net drama : "Hice Cool!~沖縄BOYS!2005~” (Hice Cool! Okinawa Boys 2005) [2005]
  • DVD : “20-2 [Eighteen]” [2003] –this dvd is made before Yanagi got car accident-
  • Photobook and DVD : “Yanagi Koutarou DVD + First Solo Photobook YA・NA・GI”
  • Musical : “Musical Tennis no Oujisama” [2003], “Musical Tennis no Oujisama in Winter 2004-2004 Side Fudomine Special Match” [2004-2005], “Musical Prince of Tennis DREAM LIVE 2nd” [2005], “Musical Tennis no Oujisama The Imperial Match Hyoutei Gakuen” [2005], “Musical Prince of Tennis The Imperial Match in Winter 2005-2006 Hyoutei Gakuen" [2005-2006], “Musical Prince of Tennis DREAM LIVE 3rd” [2006]
  • Yanagi Koutarou<br>  (Yanagi Koutarou DVD + First Solo Photobook YA・NA・GI)
    Yanagi Koutarou

Now I will tell you the reason why I chose Yanagi Koutarou as my idol and also my hero. I am truly inspired by his actions. In such a young age, he had to face a very terrible accident. Not only that, he also laid in coma and got an injury in his vocal cords. He really worked hard to be able to walk again, to sing again, to act again. And he finally could make a “return” to the entertainment world, especially to the stage. He could stand up again on the stage, even if his condition wasn’t 100% fit. He still can be a cheerful person even after all of those things. He’s also humble, even though he is popular now. He got a lot of fans from all over the world. And most of all, I really like his characteristic that never gave up.

Yanagi Koutarou - Wikipedia
The Yanagi Koutarou Fan Community - If you have a LiveJournal account and if you're a fan of Yanagi Koutarou, join this community! (English)
Oath in the Storm - The Yanagi Koutarou Fanlisting - If you're a fan of Yanagi Koutarou, join this fanlisting! (English)

You can find Yanagi Koutarou's article in some Japanese magazine, such as: Potato, Kindai, Duet, etc.

Welcome to my story about Yanagi Koutarou, a Japanese idol. Maybe most of you don’t know who he is, but he is my idol and also my hero. So I want to share to all of you about him. I will tell you his profile, his works, his greatness, reasons why I choose him as my idol and my hero, and so on. I hope you enjoy my story, and don’t forget to keep fighting! Have a good day!