Yong Ber and Cherthao Vue

by Melinda from Seymour

Most people can identify one important person in their life but I actually have two. They are my parents and their names are Yong Ber Vue and Cherthao Vue. They have always been there for me will always be and will always be the only ones who will be there for sure, no matter what. I’ve chosen them to be my heroes because my parents have sacrificed so much and are living the new life. Bravery and courage was on their mind when coming to the United States and losing and leaving some loved ones behind. All they had was their future, and they did not know what was going to happen next. I’m glad they chose what they wanted and helped us live a life they have never had.

One reason I chose my parents as my hero is that they have sacrificed so much in their lives. They didn’t have much to live with. Actually they had nothing and had no money. My parents had to go to school to learn English, because they didn’t know any and learning English helped them a lot with so much. There were no family members around because when they came to the U.S. everyone was spread apart and far away from each other. Not knowing anything to knowing everything is a huge upgrade from when they first started out and gave us the life that they have never had. Because when they were little, they didn’t have much to deal with and barely had any money and nothing was ever there for them like it would be for them in the U.S.

A second reason is that they are brave. Everything they’ve done and did in the past was full of bravery and full of hard work. Leaving their family members behind and losing some siblings was the bravest thing to do and cope with in their lives. After so many years, my mom’s sister is finally coming to United States, and my dad’s siblings had died during the war. I feel sad because all his brothers died back in Laos and Thailand. Going through the war, being in the Refugee camps, and all the places they were forced to go and places they couldn’t go through. Everything they’ve been through before the U.S. seemed so harsh and I couldn’t imagine myself in their places. Seeing people die and starving in the refugee camps is just sad. I’m just glad that my parents were brave enough to do what they needed to do and chose what was best for them.

Another important reason is their Intelligence. They were smart and told each other to learn English when they got to the U.S. so it wouldn’t be so hard for them to live there and it would be easier for them to get around and not get lost. Driving a car, finding a job, and learning English was something that my parents had done in their lives and still working today. They’ve learned so much and they have taught so much to their kids. They taught me and my siblings what they knew and what they learned. But right now, us, their kids are teaching them, working, and earning and using all the things we’ve learned in our lives from them and helping them. I’m glad they’ve given us a great life. Like I said before, they have given us a life that they have never had before and I’m sure they are proud they have gotten so far in life.

I love my parents so much and I’m glad they have done so much for their families. They are the biggest heroes in my life and I don’t think anything will ever replace them. My parents have been through so much and teaching/telling me and my siblings all the things they’ve been through. I’m glad they’ve been through so much and now living the easier life. Both my parents take a lot of pride in them. For example my dad doesn’t call himself an immigrant, he calls himself a refugee. I will always look up to them and see them as something I should never take for granted.