Steven Zigman

by Emily from Fredericksburg

The last picture ever taken of Steven (Personal Photo)

A hero can be someone who impacts many lives. Heroes can be role models, athletes and celebrities. Steven Zigman was not a man to walk down the red carpet or fly a plane. Steven Zigman is a hero to me because he taught my family the meaning of life.

On an Easter Sunday, in Manhattan, it wasn’t only the day to celebrate the resurrection of Christ; it was a day that changed many lives. Steven Michael Zigman was born.

Steven attended the public schools in Bergen County, New Jersey until high school. Even though Steven’s family had mostly Jewish roots, he was enrolled in Bergen Catholic High School. Bergen Catholic is an all-boys Catholic high school located in Oradell, New Jersey. Steven had been playing sports ever since he could remember and set higher sports standards for himself to achieve. During Steven’s high school career, he excelled in athletics such as baseball, wrestling and football. In 1981, he received state honors for his high school football team. Steven was a role model to his teammates and classmates because of his athletic achievements.

In the fall of 1982, Steven attended Kutztown University, a Pennsylvania state school located in Kutztown, PA. Ever since he was a young child, Steven wanted to help people and dreamed of being a fireman. He decided that he wanted to major in Law Enforcement and become a police officer. During Steven’s sophomore year in college, he reunited with his future wife, Donna Goodwin, who he had known in Cresskill from grade school.

In May, after two years of a serious relationship, Steven proposed to Donna on graduation day. He and Donna planned to move to Arlington, Virginia where he would work as a police officer. On November 21, Steven and Donna married in their hometown.

Steven and I in 1993 (Personal Photo)
Steven and I in 1993 (Personal Photo)

On August 31, Steven and Donna welcomed their first child, Kerri, to help complete their family. Steven was willing to sacrifice everything for his daughter and wife. He wanted to make sure that Kerri had everything in life that would make her happy, even when she was an infant. This is just a small portion of Steven’s generosity toward his family and friends.

Steven and his family moved to Fredericksburg, Virginia in 1989. Donna worked as a second grade teacher for Spotsylvania County Schools, and moving to Fredericksburg would be convenient for both of them. That year, Steven started his own firewood and mulch business called Steve’s Wood Products. Steven owned and worked for his business from 1989 until his death in 2002. The Zigman family was finally complete when Donna gave birth to me, Emily, on March 1. Steven showed a great amount of love for family by working from dawn to dusk Monday through Saturday so that Donna could be a stay-at-home mother until Kerri and I were well into our school years.

Steven started to have mood swings quite often, and despite them, he still managed to be a part of everything his family did. He also had a hard time staying attentive and focused. When he and my mom decided to get my sister and I tested for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), he decided that he should get tested too. After many tests and psychological analyses, the three of us were diagnosed with ADHD in 2000.

Steven and his family in 1997 (Personal Photo)

That year, Steven wanted to return to his job of enforcing the law. He told his wife that he wanted the best for his children while Donna went back to work. Steven had to go through the Richmond Police Department Police Academy so that he could do what he loved: helping people and keeping the city residents safe. Along with the police department, he also worked for Steve’s Wood Products on the weekends. He didn’t want to disappoint his faithful customers.

In 2001, Steven went back to the psychologist for his monthly medicine check. Steven was accompanied by Donna during his appointment. She told the doctor that she wanted her husband to get tested for Bipolar Disorder because it might explain Steven’s constant changes and mood swings. The doctor prescribed him medicine without analyzing his patient. If he had given Steven some testing, Steven might still be here today.

In January, Steven started to have side effects from his medicine. He wanted to be brave and start his day normally by dropping us off at school and proceeding to go to Richmond, but it was not enough. Steven’s doctor didn’t tell him of the side effects of his medicine if it was mixed with others. At 10 in the morning, Steven started experiencing hallucinations. Within a few minutes, Steven had taken his own life. Even though he was alone during his death, a part of his family and friends’ lives were taken with him.

Steven Zigman is my hero because he was unselfish and kind. He wanted to be as normal as he could, while still doing what was best for our family. He is a role model to me because of his strength, courage and athletic abilities. He influenced my family’s life a great deal by teaching us morals everyday. To me a hero like my dad teaches and embeds small lessons into the people in their surroundings as well as themselves. Steven Zigman was one of those people, whose heroic traits will be remembered by many for years to come.

ADHD Website - Information about ADHD
Bipolar.com - Information and help for people with Bipolar disorder
Tears Of a Cop Memorial - A memorial for cops who took their own lives. Steven is remembered on this website.