Abraham Lincoln

by Michael from Saddle River, New Jersey in United States

125180Abraham Lincolnhttps://fineartamerica.com/featured/portrait-of-president-abraham-lincoln-international-images.htmlMy hero is Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States. He was the president to end slavery in the U.S. What was Abe’s life before he became president you may be wondering? He was born on February 12, 1809 in Hodgenville, Kentucky. His family were farmers who moved from state to state. His family eventually moved to Illinois. Abe’s family was really poor. Abe grew up in poverty. Abe wasn’t interested in farming. Instead he was interested in reading. Sadly,his mom died when Abe was nine years old. When Abe was 21 he went to go live on his own. Throughout his years Abe did things like fighting in the Black Hawk War. He became a lawyer in 1837. He married Mary Todd in 1842. He also got into politics and usually got into fights about banning slavery. Eventually, Abraham Lincoln became President after beating John C. Breckinridge in the election of 1861.  

I  consider Abraham Lincoln a hero because he fought to end slavery and free all the African Americans from their suffering in the southern states. He also wrote some of the most important speeches in American history like the Gettysburg Address that would help people realize that all men are created equal. Finally, without Abraham Lincoln the United States of America would not be united. African Americans would have continued to suffer in the southern states and the America we know today would not exist.  He is my hero because he was a great American and one of the greatest presidents in American history. He was selfless, kind and a great leader. I will look up to his work and ideas for guidance if I ever become President.

Abraham Lincoln was a selfless man. He put others before himself like the enslaved African Americans and the Union. He also never let go of his cause to end slavery in the U.S.A. His success in ending slavery made America a better and stronger nation.  Even when he was younger, Abe was selfless. Once Abe walked several miles just to give change back to a man who had left it in Abe’s shop.

Abraham Lincoln was also kind. For one thing he got the name Honest Abe because he was always honest to everyone. Going back to slavery, Abe thought all men, not just blacks, should be treated equally. He was also charitable and never hoarded or wasted money and was not concerned about how much he had. Abraham Lincoln was kind to America and its people. He dedicated himself to preserving the Union and working to make sure that all men were free. He understood the importance of human rights at a time when most people looked away from it.

Abraham Lincoln had one more good characteristic that helped the North beat the South in the Civil War. He was a great leader. He learned to work with his army by not letting the generals decide the battle tactics but instead letting himself have a part in deciding the placement and commands of the North’s army. He also got more support from the public. He would write letters to people telling them about himself and what he stood for. He got this idea from the British.  People started supporting him more than before because they got to know him through those letters. Abe was also a man of logic, fairness and reason. He also wasn’t corrupted and never abused his power as the President of the United States.

Overall, Abraham Lincoln was a great leader who kept the union together and ended slavery in the U.S.A. He fought for the rights of blacks in the South and succeeded in ending slavery for good in the United States. He was an honest man. You could trust him. He led America in one of it’s darkest hours.  Abraham Lincoln led us out the darkness. He was one of the most important presidents in American history who helped America in the Civil War and ended slavery in the United States. He was a great man and President who made America a better place.

Lehrman, The Lehrman Institute. Abraham Lincoln's Classroom. [Online] Available http://www.abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/abraham-lincoln-in-depth/abraham-lincolns-personality/.2018.

T.Fritz, Matthew. General Leadership. [Online] Available General Leadership. ://generalleadership.com/3-timeless-lessons-honest-abe/..2013.

Govindarajan, Vijay. Havard Business Review. [Online] Available https://hbr.org/2016/05/to-win-the-civil-war-lincoln-had-to-change-his-leadership.2016.