MY HERO

REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR

As COP27 kicks off, Brazil eyes alliance of rainforest countries

by Michael Taylor, Reuters from KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

150118Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva speaks during the inauguration of a hospital care unit in Buenos Aires, Argentina, September, 9, 2015. After leaving office in 2010, Lula defeated former President Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil's Oct. 30 presidential election.Enrique Marcarian/Reuters

November 6, 2022

A new alliance of rainforest nations – sought by Brazil’s President-elect Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva – could be key to unlocking conservation funding and bolstering a flagging global forest pact at the COP27 climate summit, environmentalists say.

Before narrowly winning Brazil’s run-off election vote on Oct. 30, Lula – as Brazil’s new president is universally known – began reaching out to Indonesia and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) about forming a united front of tropical forest countries, according to a top aide of the leftist leader.

In the run-up to the COP27 U.N. climate summit, starting Sunday taking place in Egypt until Nov. 18, green groups urged Brazil and other forest nations to team up to increase their bargaining power during talks with potential donors over rainforest protection.

“An alliance of countries such as Brazil, Indonesia and the DRC – who all face similar threats – can put pressure on richer countries to accelerate efforts to stop deforestation,” said Annisa Rahmawati, head of Indonesian conservation group Satya Bumi, noting Lula’s pledge to put forest protection at the heart of his economic plans and policies.

Cutting down forests has major implications for global goals to curb planetary warming, as trees absorb about a third of the climate-heating carbon emissions produced worldwide, but release the carbon they store when they rot or are burned.