connie o'connel

by Deon from Oxnard

connie o' connnell at the beach (google.com)

There are many heroes in the world, but I have chosen Connie O’Connell. Connie is a brave and strong little girl and she brought such joy to people when she smiled.

Connie was born on December 17, 1993. Months later Connie suffered a deadly disease called Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. With her parents' help, she was able to control her disease.

A few months later, Connie’s disease popped back. Her family had their blood tested, and her sister was the only one that had an exact match of blood. Now Connie’s sister was able to help her.

school picture (google.com)
school picture (google.com)

Connie spent her summer in her pool, splashing and floating. Connie was doing fine after awhile, but then again her disease appeared.

The next summer of 1999 Connie wasn’t able to have fun. Instead, she was in the hospital with needles and a heart monitor. Then on November 19, 1999 she had to go to the hospital again, this time it was serious. They rushed there as fast as they could. When they got there the nurse took Connie in right away. Her family was looking at Connie‘s heart monitor every minute. And it seemed that the numbers were sinking. "There at 11:37 there was a flat line.” Connie had just passed away. Connie was just 6 years old when this happened; she was still very young. At least Connie is well now and resting in a better place.