Current Events—Heroes in the News

Photos and stories from the AP Newswire feature current events with an emphasis on developments in science, technology, arts and innovation that significantly benefit our global society.

Stories and photos from
the Associated Press
Melisa Rivera is one of five students from Reading, PA. to receive full-tuition scholarships from Alvernia University as part of a program to help high school students in one of the nation's poorest cities. Tens of thousands of activists in Manhattan warn that climate change is destroying the Earth, urging policymakers to take quick action.
Indian Space and Research Organization Chairman, K. Radhakrishnan, poses for the media with a model of the Mars orbiter after its successful launch at Sriharikota, India.
Malala Yousafzai, the 17-year-old girl who was shot at close range in the head by a Taliban Gunman in Pakistan two years ago, becomes the youngest person to have ever won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Israel Yoroba's new reggae-inspired song "Stop Ebola" gets creative in spreading Ebola awareness in West Africa.
Researchers create the ScratchJr app that teaches basic computer programming to kindergarteners.