Ellen G White

by Travis from Littlerock Ca

Ellen G White was an author on many subjects, she wrote on health reform, education, social relationships, evangelism, prophecy, publishing, religion,and management. She is the author of 50 books and during her life time wrote 5,000 periodicals and 50,000 pages of manuscripts. She is the forth most translated writer of all time. Her book on Christian living-Steps to Christ has been translated into more than 150 languages and dialects, with over 100 million copies in circulation.

There are some major themes in Ellen G Whites writings, they are: The Love of God. “Such love is without a paralle,” she stated in her first chapter of the book Steps to Chritst. Another theme and book is, The Great Cntroversy Between Christ and Satan. also, Jesus, his Sacrifice, his heavenly intercession, and Salvation through him. The Centrality of God’s word, The third angel’s message and Seventh-day Adventist mission, and finally, The Second Advent. The nearness of the second advent of Christ was the main theme in Ellen Whites life, all her books, her career were centered around this blessed hope.

Ellen White wrote extensive on health reform which was unknown for her time. In an age when “doctors” thought was the cure for lung disease was cigar smoke, and bleeding somebody who has a fever was common, one lady directed by God new better. Doctors of the time had no idea what cancer was or where it came from. Guided by the holy spirit, Ellen warned of the dangers of cancer in many of her books, lectures and brochures.

. In 1903 while in Washington, Mrs. White encouraged church workers in Southern California to secure property for a sanitarium in Loma Linda, and called for the beginning of the medical missionary education work on the pacific coast. Ellen frequently took trips to Loma Linda to encourage the workers there, and to paradise valley sanitarium near San Diego, which she had helped to establish in 1903. Today the Seventh-day Adventist church has an extensive network of hospitals, nursing homes and clinics numbering well over 600. Loma Linda University and medical center is one of the worlds leading heart transplant and cancer treatment centers.

Seventh-day Adventist believe, that, “The writings of Ellen White are not a substitute for scripture. They cannot be placed on the same level. The Holy scriptures stand alone.” On February 13, 1915 Ellen White tripped and fell while entering her study, she fractured her leg and due to her old age the prospect of her recovery was grim. She spent the remaining five months in her bed in St. Helena California, and on July 16, 1915 her last words were “I know in whom I have believed...God is love...He giveth his beloved sleep...” Ellen White died at 3:40pm. She lived to see the Advent movement grow from a few people to a world wide membership of 136,879 that, by 2000, had exceeded 11 million.

Steps to Christ - Read Ellen Whites best selling book