Eric Berry

by Joey Erstad from Liberty, Missouri in United States

During his college days, Eric Berry played and learned at the University of Tennessee, then he went on to start for the KC Chiefs, starting 87 out of 89 games played. One tragic night in early December he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, a form of cancer. After their game against the Raiders, he was feeling chest pains and the doctors found a lump on his chest. This illness took him out for the rest of the 2014 season. He had chemotherapy during the off season and was deemed cancer-free for the 2015 season. During his recovery, he would set little goals for himself, such as little workout intervals and light weight lifting. When he was good to go, he made the comeback of a lifetime and was named the comeback player of the year.

Eric Berry is my hero because of his comeback. He showed me that anything is possible if you just practice and stay healthy. Eric Berry now has The Eric Berry Foundation. There are many different programs through his foundation. One is the backpack drive, in 2018 there were 800 backpacks donated. Another is The James and Eric Berry Complex, a sports complex started by Eric and his father James. To me, it is astonishing that even after his cancer and his heel problems, he still wants to do all of this charity work for the kids and families that need it.

Bleacher report - Where did he go to college: The University of Tennessee How long was he in the NFL: Nine years How many games did he play: 89, started 87 What was he diagnosed with: Hodgkin’s Lymphoma When was he diagnosed: Early December
NFL news - Did he come back: Yes and won comeback player of the year.
Eric Berry Foundation - Eric Berry now has a foundation with many programs going through it.
Timeline - The timeline of his journey