Gerascophobia

Dir. Shuangshuang Hao | Short | 2016 | UK | 4:15

The animation film 'Gerascophobia' is about a boy called 'Mo' who has fears for growing up and ageing. Mo does many ridiculous things to avoid growing up. The animation describes his mundane life moments, shows his fears of separation, mortality, taking responsibility, and standing out as an independent individual. The ideas were mainly from personal life experience and childhood memories. The theme of my works is mostly about children’s fears and anxieties, and self-identity. I focus on childhood anxieties as a means of gaining insight to the anxieties of adults. As we mature, rationality and social pressures inhibit our instinctive responses as we learn to conceal our fears.
<
>

4:15
Troubled Water Pitch
The 30-minute documentary "Troubled Water" tells the story of one farmer and his community's fight for clean water in El Salvador against the environmental crisis caused by a mining corporation.
B R E A T H L E S S
An inspiring journey that dives deep into the reflection of one man coming to terms with the breathtaking nature of time.
UKA
Uka is a little girl who lives in a grey abandoned factory. While she's painting of of her canvas, she finds a way of changing how she sees the world.
4:04
Beneath the Surface (Excerpt)
Here is little micro-cut of our documentary Beneath the Surface.
The Black Hmong and a Different Way of Life
For a group of Black Hmong women, their village of Lao Chai is an epoch away from the city of Hanoi. Their motivations to leave their village are connected to newfound economic opportunity and empowerment.
4:16
Quyllur Rit'i: Andean Celebration of the New Year
A film that captures the mesmerising procession of Quyllur Rit'i, aka Peru’s Star Snow Festival, held at the beginning of the winter solstice and marking the start of a new year in the Andes.
6:37
A Mother's Plea, Visitation Dandora, Kenya
A documentary short profiling the humble efforts of Fr. Robert Dowd, CSC and the people of Holy Cross Parish in Dandora, Kenya to create a safe, professional maternity hospital where women will be treated with dignity, and children will be given a chance to survive.
4:52
On Her Watch
Amidst an onslaught of coal development, octogenarian Wendy Bowman stopped a powerful multinational mining company from taking her family farm and protected her community from further pollution and environmental destruction.
A Volatile Habitat
Putting his life on the line, Rodrique Katembo, a brave park ranger went undercover to document and release information about bribery and corruption in the quest to drill for oil in Virunga National Park (Democratic Republic of Congo), resulting in public outrage that forced the company to withdraw from the project.
The Community They Fight For
Latino community activist Mark Lopez pushed government officials to provide comprehensive lead testing and cleanup of East Los Angeles homes contaminated by a battery smelter that had been operating for over three decades.
The Curious End to the War Against Ourselves
This art making pilgrimage occurred at the Republican and Democratic National Conventions in the summer of 2016. Armed with a 170 foot linen scroll and art supplies, we offered a guided art making meditation to bring people into their bodies and hearts.
Township Hero
Password: Township hero A nine year old boy, Lukhanyo, from a township in South Africa spends his days rescuing sick animals against all odds.
4:46
Reunited: A Short Film about Music and the Human Spirit
In this uplifting short film, directed by Max Thurlow and Nick Trumble, Noisey meets 93 year old jazz pianist Edward Hardy.
11:09
Justdiggit's documentary Rainmakers
This short Justdiggit documentary shows the benefits of a landscape restoration project in progress, digging 72.000 bunds to harvest rainwater and restore the degraded land in Kenya.
4:51
The Lady and Her Secrets
A film showcasing the beauty and wonder of the marine life in the sea surrounding Lady Elliot Island.
9:41
INVISIBLE WINGS – A Tea Seller Couple Who Travelled the World
Copybook Films proudly presents Invisible Wings is the story of a man who has discovered this magical dimension of his life.
2:06
The hydrologic corridor
An explanation of our system approach: the hydrologic corridor.
2:30
Exam Stress, Syrian Style
In Syria they take exam stress to a whole new level. This UNICEF commission for the 6th anniversary of the war is an innovative mix of paper models, drawing and CG graphics animated using motion capture.
8:16
My Haggan Dream
On the island of Saipan, a young girl's mysterious dream about a haggan, or green sea turtle, leads her to investigate the sea turtles that live around her home. Join her adventure to find turtles, which leads to a wonderful birthday wish.
5:37
Beta Radio - On The Frame (A Family History)
Many families mark the passage of time by drawing lines on a door frame to measure their children’s growth. For Ben Mabry, this tradition stretches back over forty years as three generations of his family left their “mark” on a single wall in his grandfather’s house.