Fire Department

by Laticia and Jessica from Cleveland

Our hero is the New York Fire Department. A lot of firefighters risk their lives just to save us. There was this firefighter named Jason Cascone. He is 22 and had just finished is training on September 10, 2001. The next morning his mother woke him up saying that there was a fire at the World Trade Center. He remembers being transported to his first assignment with 50 other firefighters.

The brave men and women who entered the Twin Towers to save those inside are already recognized as heroes for the ages. Survivors of the attack speak of stairwells crowded with people determine to get downstairs to safety, while firefighters, police officers, and other emergency workers were going in the opposite direction.

Three hundered forty-three members of the New York City Fire Department lost their lives on September 11. A devastating blow to a department that had lost 778 men since it was founded in 1865. Members of the New York City Police Department, The Port Authority Police, EMS workers and court officers also made great sacrifices amid startling acts of bravery. Not a single one of those heroes died in vein. Their courage, self-lessness and professionalism saved more than 25,000 lives that day. Making it the most successful rescue operation in our nations history. These were true American patriots. They gave their lives in defense of our liberty.

The firefighters were courageous because they successfully acted brave for their country by saving as many lives as possible. They never stopped until they found every living person in the falling Twin Towers. I call a true hero somebody who stands up for what they believe in and I think the firefighters believed in rescue, which they did. They saved the lives of many with the act of belief.

The New York Fire Department are all heroes because they are true Americans. They risk their lives to save their country. My heroes are brave and courageous. They are true and trusted. They are the firefighters of 9/11, they are the wings of an angel. The New York Fire Department! America's #1 heroes!

THE FREEDOM HERO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!