Cross of St. Efrosinya Polotskaya

by Veronika Bormotko, a student of the7th form; from Mogilev

Saint Efrosinya Polotskaya (internet: yandex.by (unknown person))

The Cross of St. Efrosinya Polotskaya
created by
Lazar Boghsa

The Cross of St. Efrosinya of Polotskaya is a unique example of jeweller's art from ancient Belarus.  It is a religious and spiritual treasure of the Belarusians.

In 1997 the Brest artist-jeweler Nikolai Kuzmich made a full-size copy of the Cross, which was inaugurated and handed over to the St. Spass-Efrosinya convent in Polotsk.

the cross of St. Efrosinya Polotskaya  (internet: yandex.by (unknown person))
the cross of St. Efrosinya Polotskaya (internet: yandex.by (unknown person))

The Cross was created by the request of St. Efrosinya as an ark for the storage of Christian relics by the Polotsk craftsman Lazar Boghsa in 1161. It is made in the form of a six-pointed cross of height 51,5 cm. First the Cross was kept in Polotsk, then from 1929 to 194 in the Mogilev Regional Museum. In 1941 it disappeared without a trace during the evacuation of the museum.

The MY HERO Project - For the heroic story of Saint Efrosinya Polotskaya, also by Veronika.