Ulysses

by Matthew from Sulphur

"Know ye that I am the mighty Ulysses, King of Ithaca and conqueror of Troy!"

Ulysses is a mythological hero from Ancient Greece. It was said that the man who wrote his stories was Homer. Now people wonder if Homer wasn't just a story. No matter what, I idolize Ulysses because he was a noble king and a great warrior.

The stories of Ulysses start shortly after he conquers Troy. It is said that Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, was angry at the Greek army for conquering Troy. He started a great storm and destroyed the Greek Armada in doing so. Ulysses was wise and managed to save his ship from the storm, but he was lost at sea. He was not able to find his way home for twenty years.

Ulysses faced many obstacles in his many years of travel. He faced witches, sirens, Cyclopes, and other men competing for the love of his supposedly widowed wife. By using wit and a little help from the gods and his loyal crew, he overcame every challenge he faced.

Ulysses (Google)
Ulysses (Google)

Ulysses was a smart king and a great warrior. He was not a real person, but he is my hero. I think he is a great role model for children and adults alike.