Helen Keller

by Gabriela from Whippany, New Jersey in United States

Helen Keller

128751Anne Sullivan teaching Helenhttps://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/09/helen_keller_texas_alabama.html 

Helen Keller was an inspirational young woman who had no choice but to live by the saying, “If at first you don’t succeed, try again.”  Helen Keller was blind and deaf, yet she learned how to communicate with the help of Anne Sullivan. Helen Keller had many struggles throughout her lifetime.  Helen Keller motivates other people not just blind or deaf or sometimes even both she encourages people just like you and me.   

Helen Adams Keller was born on June 27 , 1880 in Tuscumbia, Alabama and died on June 1, 1968  Helen had one biological sister and one biological brother. She also had two step brothers.

In 1882 Helen was diagnosed by the family doctor with a disease called  “Brain Fever” which is a high body temperature. Within a few days the fever broke.  At dinner Helen’s mom rang the dinner bell and Helen paid no attention to it and when a hand was waved in front of her face.  She lost her sight and hearing when she was only 19 months old.

“Life is a daring, adventure, or nothing”

Helen found many ways of communication, she created more than 60 signs.  But then she became very crazy and wild she would kick and scream when she was angry.  She would laugh a lot when she was happy. Helen would have bad tantrums. Helen had a trainer or a teacher named Anne Sullivan.  Anne taught Helen how to finger spell, starting with a simple word the word “doll". Helen grew throughout her career.

“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”

Helen Keller is a hero.  She has taught me lots of powerful lessons but the one that stood out to me the most is never to give up, no matter how hard the obstacle.  Whenever I feel like giving up I think of her and keep pushing. She is a brave, strong woman who won’t give up without a fight.

128750Helen Keller is holding flowershttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Helen_Keller_by_Charles_Milton_Bell_c1892.jpg