Gunnar Nordahl

by Sari from Milan, Italy

When Andriy Shevchenko scored his 100th goal for A.C. Milan the Milanese supporters said: "Well if he can double that number, and then add another 26, then, and just then, he has passed Il Canoniere."
This is when he scored his 200th goal (www.google.com)

A hero is a man who would be a legend and makes miracles for big teams. He is a football player who scored 210 goals in 257 appearances, and that makes him a legend on his team, also scoring 44 goals in 30 appearances. He sets a standard for the legends on earth. He’s my hero because he scored fantastic goals and he’s the top goal scorer for A.C. Milan. He was the most effective striker that has ever played for A.C. Milan. His style of play was based on his enormous strength.

He captained us during his last 2 years (www.google.com)

Nordahl went to A.C. Milan on January, 22, 1949 to start a new era, where he teamed up with his international teammates, Gunnar Gren and Nils Liedholm to form the nickname of the three Swedes, Gre-No-Li. In his first season he scored an outstanding 16 goals in 15 appearances. In the 8 seasons with A.C. Milan, he was Serie A’s top goal scorer five times. Nordahl is A.C. Milan's all-time top goal scorer, with 210 league goals in 257 appearances. He is still the second-highest Serie A goal scorer of all time, with 225 goals in 291 appearances. Only Silvio Piola has scored more goals, making Nordahl the top goal scorer that is a non-Italian player.

The legendary Gre-No-Li (www.google.com)

After leaving A.C. Milan, Nordahl played for Roma for two seasons. Nordahl still holds the record for the most goals in a season in Italy, with 35 goals in 1949-1950. He sets the standard for a legend on earth. His goal scoring talent made him a national hero for Sweden being first called-up in 1945 and retiring in 1949 due to the transfer to A.C. Milan. He scored a total of 44 goals in 30 appearances, and gives him an average of 1.5 goals per game, that’s called talent and greatness.

The most succesful club EVER (www.google.com)

His tally of trophies include: 2 Serie A’s, 4 Swedish League titles, 2 Swedish Cups, 2 Latina Cups, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, 1 Olympic Top Goal Scorer, 4 Italian Cups, 5 Italian League Top Goal Scorer and 4 Swedish League Top Goal Scorer. When ex-Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko scored his 100th goal in Serie A for A.C. Milan, the Milanese supporters said: "Well if he can double that number, and then add another 26, then, and just then, he has passed Il Canoniere."

Gunnar Nordahl (www.google.com)
Gunnar Nordahl (www.google.com)

Unfortunately, Nordahl died in 1995 from a heart attack, and he will remain forever in history as one of the most powerful and greatest players of the game. I learned that Nordahl is a brave and loyal player, because when he joined A.C. Milan he decided to retire internationally just to concentrate on his tally of goals and trophies with A.C. Milan. A Milan statement read: "Milan mourn the death of Gunnar Nordahl, an irreplaceable member of the legendary 'Gre-No-Li' attacking triumvirate. With him, we lose a huge chunk of our history, yet his memory will stay alive in the hearts of Milan fans and of all football lovers."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnar_Nordahl www.acmilan.com www.acmilan-online.com/lg_nordahl.php soccer-europe.com/Biographies/Nordahl.html www.experiencefestival.com/gunnar_nordahl www.databaseolympics.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=NORDAGUN01 www.zanziball.it/en/4/97eb.html www.soccerfriend.com/showthread.php/ac-milan-top-scorers-gunnar-514.html forum.devilsmania.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1