Jackie Robinson

by Kyle M from United States

130164jackie robinsonwikipediaJackie Robinson was a great person and was many people's hero for breaking the color barrier. Jackie had a great background and historical accomplishments.  Jackie fits the definition of being a hero because of how brave he was, he didn’t give up, and he fought for equal rights.

Jackie Robinson was born on January 31, 1919, and grew up in Cairo, Georgia. He had a dad named Jerry Robinson, and a Mom named Mallie Robinson, also three brothers named Mack Robinson, Trank Robinson, and Edgar Robinson, he also had a sister named Willa Mae Robinson.  Jackie played track, baseball, football, and basketball. In addition Jackie went to college at UCLA before joining the Dodgers in 1947. When joining the Dodgers he won rookie of the year, MVP, won the World Series, and got chosen in to the baseball Hall of Fame. Sadly, he died at 53 years old from a heart attack.

Jackie Robinson was a hero for many people. The main thing that Jackie is known for is that he was the first African American baseball player.  Therefore people hated him, they wouldn't show up to games because of him, they would throw things at him, even threaten him, but he kept his anger in.

Finally, Jackie started a foundation to give money to people who needed it to get to college.

That’s how Jackie broke the color barrier and got to play the sport that he loved. He was a great person overall and definitely fits in the definition of being a hero.