LIERARY HERO

James Baldwin

Celebrate the birthday of James Baldwin, one of the most important American writers in the 20th century, as well as a civil rights activist.

Stories

Credit: Allan Warren [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]

James Baldwin

By: Eric from Elmhurst
James Baldwin was a famed African American novelist and essayist whose writings dealt with homosexual issues before the gay liberation movement.

The Word Revolutionist: James Baldwin

By: Sebastian Ruiz
James Baldwin was a highly influential author of the Harlem Renaissance.

Artwork

James Baldwin by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly

Civil Rights activist and writer James Baldwin portrayed as one of the Americans Who Tells the Truth series of courageous portraits by Robert Shetterly

James Baldwin , photo by Carl Van Vechten from the Gallery

By: Carl Van Vechten
James Baldwin's novels include "Go Tell It on the Mountain" and his essays include "Notes Of a Native Son". His was an impassioned voice for Civil Rights .

Films

My Hero suggested viewing: TED Talk: The World According to James Baldwin.

Watch the video below.

My Hero suggested viewing:

Trailer for If Beale Street Could Talk (2018). This is an adaptation of a short story by James Baldwin directed by Barry Jenkins.

Watch the trailer below.

Discover More Inspiring Heroes

Inspired by James Baldwin? Share Essays, Films and Art about Your Hero with Our Create Program

Related Pages

Black History Month | Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

By: MY HERO Staff
MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Learn about Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom | August 28, 1963

By: Becky Miller
The March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom was organized by A. Philip Randolph and Bayard Rustin. It was held on the 100th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. On this day, Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous "I have a dream" speech to 250,000 people. The march led to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

LGBT Heroes in the Arts Sciences

By: Xenia Shin
Part of LGBT History and LGBT Pride Month celebrations

Additional Links

Organizer created on 7/7/2019 7:05:03 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 8/1/2020 10:53:25 AM by Anthony Pouw